[SOLVED] replaced my gtx 1060 for a rtx 2070 super and got some stuttering in games

Soarim

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015
i bought this rtx 2070 super and it arrived today, i was using a gtx 1060, so i started playing rdr2 and the stuttering began, it has like micro stutters for less than a second, some times it freezes for like a second and drops fps and then go back to normal, im suspecting on my psu wich is almost 8 years old (its a thermaltake 700w 80 pluz bronze) or my RAM cause its kinda slow, its a dual channel 2400mhz no xmp profile available, i did a lot of benchmarks, all normal, checked the power consumption while gaming, it seemed normal to me, it was between 80 to 95% playing rdr2, and around 70% playing warzone, temps are fine, did the furmark bench for 30 minutes, it was allright as well, so, can you guys tell me if my bad RAM modules could be the cause of the stuttering? could be my psu? drivers (used ddu to unistall the 1060 drivers) ?

ps: when playing warzone, i barely got any stutters, but when it happens, the screen freezes for a second and come back, i played modern warfare multiplayer, running really smooth, in gta v it was running weel, dint get any stuttering. i only tested these games (rdr2, warzone, mw multiplayer and gta v).

gpu: rtx 2070 super
cpu: ryzen 7 3700x
ram: 16gb dual channel 2400mhz
psu (almost 8 years old) thermaltake 700w 80 plus
mobo: b450m steel legend
no ssd, i use a 1tb hd, wich is almost 8 years old too

Solution
DDU isn't the problem. Your PSU and hard drive should probably both be replaced, but I doubt that either of them are causing your issue.

You notice how your GPU utilization is low? That points to a CPU bottleneck. Do you know why you have a CPU bottleneck? Because of your slow RAM speeds. Definitely replace that RAM, you're leaving a lot of CPU performance on the table by bottlenecking it with slow RAM.

Ryzen CPUs synchronize their infinity fabric clock multiplier with your RAM speed, so slow RAM quite literally slows down your CPU. Your CPU performing slowly is then giving you stutter.
I would suggest using DDU again. Remove any traces of the 1060 drivers again, as well as any drivers for the 2070 Super, to make sure there is no compatibility issues appearing. That being said, there are a couple other parts of your system that might be falling behind. Your CPU/Mobo is good, but your RAM choice is holding it back, for sure. Ryzen loves fast memory, I recommend 3200 MHz or higher. Your HDD could also be an issue, since they are very slow, and upgrading to an SSD would probably make a nice difference. However, I do suspect your PSU is the biggest issue. The new GPU will be drawing significantly more power than the old one, and while the PSU may have been able to provide for the old 1060 fine, the increased power draw of the 2070 Super might be causing your issues.

Reactions: Soarim
DDU isn't the problem. Your PSU and hard drive should probably both be replaced, but I doubt that either of them are causing your issue.

You notice how your GPU utilization is low? That points to a CPU bottleneck. Do you know why you have a CPU bottleneck? Because of your slow RAM speeds. Definitely replace that RAM, you're leaving a lot of CPU performance on the table by bottlenecking it with slow RAM.

Ryzen CPUs synchronize their infinity fabric clock multiplier with your RAM speed, so slow RAM quite literally slows down your CPU. Your CPU performing slowly is then giving you stutter.

Reactions: Soarim
Solution

Soarim

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015

ok, thats a good thing to read cause i already bought a two 8gb 3600mhz ram modules, but im still worried about my psu, if its not working properly, can it damage my gpu? im actually playing warzone for about an hour now, didnt get stutters, and yeah, i noticed that my gpu usage sometimes goes around 75%, but im still getting above 100 fps every moment in the game(warzone), playing in the highest settings, and while playing rdr2, some of the micro stutters happened and the gpu usage was above 90%, should i put the 1060 back and wait till i can buy a new psu even tought you dont think thats the problem? cau i mean, its a 700w psu, never gave me problems, i clean it often

ok, thats a good thing to read cause i already bought a two 8gb 3600mhz ram modules, but im still worried about my psu, if its not working properly, can it damage my gpu? im actually playing warzone for about an hour now, didnt get stutters, and yeah, i noticed that my gpu usage sometimes goes around 75%, but im still getting above 100 fps every moment in the game(warzone), playing in the highest settings, and while playing rdr2, some of the micro stutters happened and the gpu usage was above 90%, should i put the 1060 back and wait till i can buy a new psu even tought you dont think thats the problem? cau i mean, its a 700w psu, never gave me problems, i clean it often

It's not the wattage of the PSU, its the age and quality that's important. As a PSU ages, its performance decreases and its ability to reliably deliver the power asked of it properly diminishes.

You should replace it, but its ok (in my opinion) to keep using your system as-is until you buy a new one. I'd recommend you a Seasonic or Corsair 650 watt or greater PSU. Make sure its at least Gold rated.

Soarim

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015
It's not the wattage of the PSU, its the age and quality that's important. As a PSU ages, its performance decreases and its ability to reliably deliver the power asked of it properly diminishes.

You should replace it, but its ok (in my opinion) to keep using your system as-is until you buy a new one. I'd recommend you a Seasonic or Corsair 650 watt or greater PSU. Make sure its at least Gold rated.

ok, thanks a lot for the help

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
ok, thanks a lot for the help
I really don't think you have a problem warzone had a patch that made peoples FPS drop RD2 runs like crap on a lot of PC's you can never tell what a patch will do for a games performance.
They also could be new drivers released that makes things better.
Your memory is slow for the processor in general you would use 3200/3600.

You can also throw in server lag.

Soarim

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015
I really don't think you have a problem warzone had a patch that made peoples FPS drop RD2 runs like crap on a lot of PC's you can never tell what a patch will do for a games performance.
They also could be new drivers released that makes things better.
Your memory is slow for the processor in general you would use 3200/3600.

You can also throw in server lag.
i have a problem, i played warzone for about 3 hours, for a few games i had lots of micro stuttering, rdr2 is kinda unplayable for me, but when i had the 1060 on it was very smooth, my new ram should arrive next week, then ill see if thats the problem