Question Replaced my Power Supply, Motherboard, wiped 2 drives and installed windows on both of them, the same exact error is still showing on boot.

ARabidHamster88

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
My winloader.efi file is corrupted or missing when I try to boot from my ssd with nothing on it except a brand new install of windows 10, I also erased my usb flash drive, made it into a windows install disc again wiped my HDD and installed a fresh windows 10 on it as well but to no avail, winloader.efi is still corrupt or missing on both drives (using one sata cable switching between the two) I also updated my bios and installed a dual boot of ubuntu on my ssd to see if linux would work, and it does, perfectly. Is there any way I can repair my windows install from within ubuntu? My computer also wont load from a bootable windows usb stick any more, it gets frozen on the windows logo screen, with or without an ssd or hdd plugged in, I'm beyond stumped.
My setup is as follows
Brand new MSI B360M Bazooka MOBO
ASUS GTX 1060 6GB strix
16 GB corsair vengeance RGB DDR4
Brand new TX650M PSU
Silicon Power SSD 240 GB

USAFRet

Titan
Too many moving parts all at the same time.

Start over.
Create a new WIn 10 USB to install with.
Pick ONE drive. Disconnect all others.
Install Windows, deleting ALL existing partitions on that drive.
See what happens.

ARabidHamster88

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
Too many moving parts all at the same time.

Start over.
Create a new WIn 10 USB to install with.
Pick ONE drive. Disconnect all others.
Install Windows, deleting ALL existing partitions on that drive.
See what happens.

Alright, I tried the boot drive with no hard drive plugged in, started to load win 64 setup, froze during the spinning circles. Turned off, plugged in blank hard drive and led to the same effect, was able to boot into safe mode win 64 installer so I'm going to try and go through the installer in safe mode. This is the exact same process I went through yesterday so I must be doing something wrong for the same thing to keep happening, any ideas?

ARabidHamster88

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013

USAFRet

Titan
Where did your actual WIndows install come from?
How did you create it?

ARabidHamster88

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
Every time I've downloaded windows it has been directly from Microsoft using the media creation tool found at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 , this time around I chose the .iso option and mounted the iso to the usb using hasleo https://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/
I formatted the usb to make sure there was no data, used hasleo to make the USB, unplugged my HDD and SSD from my motherboard, plugged the usb into the i/o on the back of the board, booted from the UEFI USB disk and the exact same problem happened, windows started to load but got stuck on the spinning circles of armageddon. With every new thing I try I become more confused. Once again, thank you so much for all the help, hopefully we can figure this out.

ARabidHamster88

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2013
Ok, I tried a different thumb drive, got the same results. I also tried using this tutorial https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-run-windows-10-from-a-usb-drive to run windows off of the new thumb drive but it won't work either. It gets stuck at the same spot as it does when I install windows on one of the drives.
As a test, try installing Linux.
We'll wipe it out later, but this is just to verify all the other hardware.

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
Surprisingly, Ubuntu works both in the 'try it out' mode booting from the flash drive, but also worked when I wiped my SSD and installed ubuntu on it and unplugged the usb stick. All of my components are running at stock clock speeds and everything is functioning as it should in the bios and in linux, I am considering giving up and turning my gaming PC into a hackintosh at this point, but we all know what that's like...
<Edited for obvious reasons>

Last edited by a moderator: