James_283

Reputable
May 16, 2016
Hi all,

I have an MSI mag z390 tomahawk motherboard. I swapped out my hyperx fury 2x8GB RAM with some Patriot Viper steel 2x8GB 4400Mhz RAM and my screens are showing that there is no signal, and my keyboard isn’t lighting up.
I have tried moving the RAM into different slots, removing the motherboard battery for 10min and restarting, and booting with only the display connected and no USBs. All failed.
Any ideas on what to do? I can’t reset the CMOS using the JBAT1 pins as I don’t have a jumper block (hence the battery approach)
Edit: all the lights on my pc parts turn on (gpu, liquid cooling for cpu, fans, motherboard) and all the only hardware which has changed is the RAM, both ddr4.

thanks in advance, James.

Solution

James_283

Reputable
May 16, 2016
Plugging in the old RAM works, the PC boots which is nice. Booting up with both the old AND new RAM gives me the same problem... how do I make my bios recognise this memory? Is that the problem?

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Is the new RAM supported by the motherboard and CPU?
Have you tried both sticks as singles to ensure both boot when used in isolation?

You can still reset using JBAT1 by shorting the pins with something metal like a screwdriver for 10 seconds. This is all the jumper cap does.

Last edited:
Solution