[SOLVED] Replaced PSU, Now PC Won't POST

ripto

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
I recently moved and just got around to hooking up my desktop computer. I got everything connected, turned it on, and it shut off after about 3 seconds. I tried to turn it on again and nothing. Then I smelled burnt electronics and saw smoke. I opened the case and looked around. Couldn't see any obvious damage.

I have a basic HTPC, so I hooked that up and everything was fine, so I'm ruling out power input.

I took the PSU from the HTPC and put it in the desktop and it turned on, but then it failed to post or load windows (both PSUs are around 500-520W). It would show the Asus splash screen, then go to a black screen with blinking cursor.

I swapped GPU from my HTPC just to see, same thing. Took one stick of RAM out at a time and same thing. Disconnected my three hard drives and CD drive and only hooked one up at a time. It then flashed the Nvidia GeForce GTS250 screen briefly, then the Asus splash screen, then back to the black with blinking dash.

I decided to try booting from a CD by putting in my Windows CD and it did see it and loaded it, but only to install. Couldn't use it to repair or restore. Did not do anything yet.

I tried restoring the BIOS to defaults and removing the CMOS battery for about 30 min and nothing.

I plan to try each drive in my HTPC and see if it recognizes any of them.

Any ideas what may be happening?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I recently moved and just got around to hooking up my desktop computer. I got everything connected, turned it on, and it shut off after about 3 seconds. I tried to turn it on again and nothing. Then I smelled burnt electronics and saw smoke. I opened the case and looked around. Couldn't see any obvious damage.

I have a basic HTPC, so I hooked that up and everything was fine, so I'm ruling out power input.

I took the PSU from the HTPC and put it in the desktop and it turned on, but then it failed to post or load windows (both PSUs are around 500-520W). It would show the Asus splash screen, then go to a black screen with blinking cursor.

I swapped GPU from my HTPC just to see, same thing. Took one stick of RAM out at a time and same thing. Disconnected my three hard drives and CD drive and only hooked one up at a time. It then flashed the Nvidia GeForce GTS250 screen briefly, then the Asus splash screen, then back to the black with blinking dash.

I decided to try booting from a CD by putting in my Windows CD and it did see it and loaded it, but only to install. Couldn't use it to repair or restore. Did not do anything yet.

I tried restoring the BIOS to defaults and removing the CMOS battery for about 30 min and nothing.

I plan to try each drive in my HTPC and see if it recognizes any of them.

Any ideas what may be happening?
The blinking - means no operating system found. Did you hook up the power going to the boot drive?

ripto

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
sometimes having a bad power supply can kill components like motherboard, CPU, SSD and possibly graphics card.

Yeah I was thinking the same.

The blinking - means no operating system found. Did you hook up the power going to the boot drive?

Nope. Turns out I missed the SSD in the jungle of CD and HDDs. Felt dumb but glad that's all it was. Caught it a day or so after my post. Meant to update. Thanks.