Question Replaced ram while Power supply was connected

May 8, 2022
Accidentally replaced ram while power supply was still on. Now it says no device connected on my monitor. So it’s a black screen. All the lights still work, fan etc, and when I replugged back in the old ram it still lights up. I’ve been at it for 2 hours trying to get help and people have been saying different things.

what exactly do I need to do to fix the issue? Can anyone help? Really appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

PSU was still on, meaning the system was running? What rams were you working with and what rams did you replace them with? We're going to need a little more info with regards to your system with a full system's specs. Have you tried disconnecting from the wall and display, removing the CMOS battery for 30 minutes, then pressing and holding down the case power button for 30 seconds.

You sure you got the rams in the right slots on the motherboard?

If you swapped the rams while the system was operating, you're probably going to have to change the board or the rams or both.

May 8, 2022
The system was not running (pc was shut off) but it was still connected to the power supply. I’m a noob when it comes to the PC stuff. What is the CMOS battery? Yes, the rams are in the right slot.

May 8, 2022
I unplugged the ram sticks last night, and plugged them in this morning. The pc has been off but still connected to power supply. When I turn on the PC my microphone works. But my keyboard does not.

May 8, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

PSU was still on, meaning the system was running? What rams were you working with and what rams did you replace them with? We're going to need a little more info with regards to your system with a full system's specs. Have you tried disconnecting from the wall and display, removing the CMOS battery for 30 minutes, then pressing and holding down the case power button for 30 seconds.

You sure you got the rams in the right slots on the motherboard?

If you swapped the rams while the system was operating, you're probably going to have to change the board or the rams or both.
I was upgrading my ram to 16g. Replacing the 8gb.

May 8, 2022
I have removed everything plugged into the pc. I’ve just removed the battery. Going to wait 30 minutes. Do I do the power button now? Or after 30 minutes ?