[SOLVED] Replaced ryzen 3 with ryzen 5 now pc won’t boot (orange flashing light)

Apr 30, 2020
I replaced my old ryzen 3 inside my dell with a ryzen 5 and now i get an orange light from the power button and it will not boot. please help :)

Solution
i tried to boot up with the 1600 and it’s not flashing that same orange light however it’s also not booting

Chances are high that you are going to have to source the non AF version or another processor for this to work.

Best bet would be to check the line for offered upgrades to the one you got. I would take a guess than a 1700 would likely work if you can source it.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums :D

Which Dell?
which ryzen 3?
which ryzen 5?

Assuming you went from one generation to another, the ryzen 1200 to the ryzen 2600 for example, the motherboard may need an update to see the new generation CPU. I suggest putting the old CPU back in the system and checking if the system is still working with the old CPU. then see if there is an update needed to make the board ready for the new CPU, if it even can be made to run with the new CPU at all. OEM boards are not as flexible as the retail counterparts. they are made for the parts put on them and that's about it.

Reactions: RodroX
Apr 30, 2020
thank you

Which Dell?
which ryzen 3?
which ryzen 5?

the pc is an Inspiron 5675

the first ryzen is actually a ryzen 5 1400 (i accidentally typed 3)

the new one is a ryzen 5 1600

when i put the old cpu back it worked. maybe it needs a bios update?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the new one, is it the 1600AF?
the 1600 has two varieties the old school one which should just plug in and go on that board called the AE, and a new variant with updated architecture and memory controller called the 1600AF (its basically a rebranded 2600), the updates will require an update to the BIOS to support it and I did not see one that would address the issue on dells site.
I think you night need to contact Dell if the CPU is a 1600AF.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
the new one, is it the 1600AF?
the 1600 has two varieties the old school one which should just plug in and go on that board called the AE, and a new variant with updated architecture and memory controller called the 1600AF (its basically a rebranded 2600), the updates will require an update to the BIOS to support it and I did not see one that would address the issue on dells site.
I think you night need to contact Dell if the CPU is a 1600AF.

This is absolutely the right track and where I am huge fan of Dell machines....
Dell has this really neat 'service tag' thing where it makes finding stock drivers and stock replacements and whatnot REALLY easy. What is a complete PITA with Dell is their propensity for leaving out just enough details to actually assist in upgrades and such. For instance a CPU compatibility list for mobo. GPU list the same, etc.
I will continue to use Dell for a variety of my office needs and think much of the middle and high line business class equipment is the bees knees. I will NEVER buy another Dell branded gaming machine. XPS broke me of that.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
i tried to boot up with the 1600 and it’s not flashing that same orange light however it’s also not booting

Chances are high that you are going to have to source the non AF version or another processor for this to work.

Best bet would be to check the line for offered upgrades to the one you got. I would take a guess than a 1700 would likely work if you can source it.

Reactions: +JLG
Solution