Question Replaced thermal paste, cleaned fan, now there's no sound ?

Apr 4, 2021
I don't know what else to do...hope you guys can help me so I have this PC that was making a loud noise with the fan so I thought it might have dust on it so I decided it would be a good idea to replace the thermal paste and clean the fan a little, so I did that, cleaned the heatsink, the heatsink is the regular intel heatsink reapplied thermal paste cleaned the cpu while doing that and done, now I log in to windows 10 and I find that there's no audio. I immediately go to the bios settings to see if I messed up something but it seems like the onboard audio is enabled.

Specs:
MB: GIGABYTE H81M-H
MEMORY: 8GB DDR3
CPU: INTEL CORE I3 4170
I own no graphics card I use this computer normally for work im okay with intel graphics

I already updated the BIOS, formatted a clean install of windows 10 , this motherboard uses realtek audio so I reinstalled the drivers for that, been uninstalling and reinstalling drivers for the past day and honestly I don't know what else to do I'm not sure what I did wrong the PC works normally the only thing missing is the audio.
Note when I connect the headphones it detects the headphones and when seeing audio devices it shows that it's playing even though I can't hear anything, my headphones are fine I tested them somewhere else and even tested with another pair of headphones.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you're on the latest BIOS update(would be good to know what version you're on) and that your OS is version 20H2, then try uninstalling and reinstalling your audio drivers. Source the drivers from Gigabyte's support site for the motherboard.

Did you try unplugging and replugging the front panel audio connector on the motherboard? I'm assuming front panel since you didn't mention the ports used. What is the make and model of your headset?

Apr 4, 2021
Thanks for the reply and the welcoming.

I updated the OS to 20H2 as you specified, no success, the issue still happens.
Both front panel and back panel detect the headphones with the Realtek driver, realtek pops up saying it has detected headphones being plugged. However when playing something there’s absolutely no sound.
The model of this headset is a chinese brand I’m not sure which one it is, is it brand new bought it like over a week ago so I know it was working however I did test it with another pair of bluetooth headphones that have aux capability with an aux cable, that also did not work.

I know the headset works, tested it on my laptop and works flawlessly, however on my main PC doesn’t work after I replaced the thermal paste and cleaned the fan.