[SOLVED] Replaced X99 Deluxe - cannot access BIOS ?

Trey5537

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
CPU: 5960x
Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe
Ram: 32gb DDR4 Asus RGB
SSD/HDD: 4TB Samsung SSD
GPU: MSI 1080ti
PSU: EVGA 1300 Gold
Chassis: Corsair
Monitor: Asus 4K

I purchased an identical refurbished Asus X99 Deluxe MOBO to replace an existing bad one. After replacing the MOBO, I load into a blue screen stating “Recovery - Your PC needs to be repaired…operating system couldn’t be loaded.”

The blue screen gives me the following options:

1. Press Enter to try again
  2. Press F8 for Startup Settings
When selecting either of those options, the screen flashes and nothing happens. Also, I’m unable to boot directly into BIOS upon startup.

• I’ve tried clearing CMOS
  • I’ve tried booting into BIOS with all drives unplugged. This results in nothing but a black screen with a small dash towards the upper left hand corner.
Any ideas or suggestions?

MOBO was purchased from an eBay computer seller who claimed the MOBO was refurbished. The seller has good reviews, but who knows…? It’s been awhile since I originally built this desktop (2013), so maybe I’m overlooking something simple?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Can you inspect the CPU's socket to see if there are any bent or broken socket pins? Also, how are you populating the ram slots on the board?

For the sake of relevance, it's advised to list your specs in the body of the thread since sig space specs can and will change over time, making this thread and relevant suggestions moot for the person in the same boat as you but in the future.

Please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

How old is the PSU in your build?

As for the CMOS clear part, disconnect from all power sources and your display then remove the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes. Press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds to discharge any residual power.

Lutfij

Titan
Can you inspect the CPU's socket to see if there are any bent or broken socket pins? Also, how are you populating the ram slots on the board?

For the sake of relevance, it's advised to list your specs in the body of the thread since sig space specs can and will change over time, making this thread and relevant suggestions moot for the person in the same boat as you but in the future.

Please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

How old is the PSU in your build?

As for the CMOS clear part, disconnect from all power sources and your display then remove the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes. Press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds to discharge any residual power.

Solution

Trey5537

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
Thanks for the reply. I edited the post to include the other hardware specifications. My apologies, as its been awhile since I’ve had to visit these forums. Nonetheless, to answer your questions:
  1. CPU socket was in good shape. I inspected this prior to installing the PCU.
  2. RAM is plugged into A1, B1, D1, and C1.
  3. PSU is from 2013 or 2014. It’s an EVGA 1300 Gold. I initially suspected a bad MOBO, because a few months ago I couldn’t get the desktop to post. After some minor troubleshooting, sticking the 1080ti into PCI_2, the computer booted. It worked fine, but the monitor would instantly flash on and off every 30 minutes or so. As such, I figured the MOBO was on its final decline. A few months later I went to boot the tower, and I received a surge protector warning, and could never get past the initial ASUS screen.

Over the next couple of days, I read various forums and Reddit posts, and everything indicated I had a faulty MOBO. Is it possible this could actually be my PSU? I’m leaning towards the MOBO, since I had to swap the GPU to a new PCI slot to resolve the previously mentioned issue?

I’m going to try the CMOS clear again as you instructed. I’ll report back. Please share your thoughts on what I wrote. Thank you.