[SOLVED] Replacement board for Asus p8z77-v pro

Oct 29, 2020
Hello,
I have a PC I built a few years ago that I'm hoping to get working again.

CPU: 3770K
MB: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
RAM: 16GB VENGEANCE
GPU: MSI 660TI POWER EDITION

The board is dead unfortunately and I'm looking for a replacement as cheap as possible. I had the chip overclocked slightly but not by much and it's not a huge priority. I haven't used the system in a few years and would like to get it up and going again. What do you guys think should I look for a refurbished/used same model MB or is there a cheap alternative that would be sufficient?

I was looking on eBay and there are p8z77-v boards on eBay for about 120 euro. Should I go with this? Is it a bad idea to buy a second hand board like this?

Advice appreciated
Thanks
Paddy

Solution
Thanks for the reply. Just before I order one I'd like to hear what you think of what is wrong.

The system won't POST. When i plug it in and turn it on the fans spin for about a second and stop. When I hit button again nothing at all happens. I've tried rebuilding outside the case, reseating with fresh CPU paste, using another PSU, booting without GPU, and even tryed turning on the system without any RAM. Nothing at all worked.

So is it fair to say that I've narrowed it down to the board or the chip? The board would be the most likely to be faulty right? There are no bent pins on board or chip. I just wanna make sure it's the board that's faulty before I replace it.

If you tried everything it's probably the board. Could have...
Oct 29, 2020
Thanks for the reply. Just before I order one I'd like to hear what you think of what is wrong.

The system won't POST. When i plug it in and turn it on the fans spin for about a second and stop. When I hit button again nothing at all happens. I've tried rebuilding outside the case, reseating with fresh CPU paste, using another PSU, booting without GPU, and even tryed turning on the system without any RAM. Nothing at all worked.

So is it fair to say that I've narrowed it down to the board or the chip? The board would be the most likely to be faulty right? There are no bent pins on board or chip. I just wanna make sure it's the board that's faulty before I replace it.

I was in a similar situation about a year ago. My Z77 motherboard died too. I ended up buying a new one on Ebay for my i5-3570k. It's been working great for my daughter ever since. If you decide to buy a used one on Ebay, follow the usual precautions - seller rating, user feedback on similar items, etc... I would send messages to the user and ask specific questions like how long it's been used, ...

Reactions: Paddyq97

If you tried everything it's probably the board. Could have been the PSU but you tried another one. You tried the integrated graphics and didn't work. Did you try booting with only 1 stick of ram?

There is a really good chance that it's the board. CPU are tuff. I'd say board before CPU.

Solution