Replacement Canon printheads

I noticed that Canon does not sell replacement printheads on there estore
site. How come? They are easy enough to find on several ink sites. Has
anyone ever bought one of these, and if so, was it reliable?

KnumbKnuts wrote:
> I noticed that Canon does not sell replacement printheads on there estore
> site. How come? They are easy enough to find on several ink sites. Has
> anyone ever bought one of these, and if so, was it reliable?

You may not want to do that. The average "ink site" price is close to
$100. I bought my printhead on eBay for $54. Regular shipping for US
folks is free, I believe (from the dealer I got mine from).

Just type in the eBay search box your relevant information, for example:
"Canon i860 printhead". That should get you the right seller. These are
genuine Canon printheads.

-Taliesyn
(Taliesyn is not associated with any sellers on eBay or elsewhere)

bill

Taliesyn wrote:

>You may not want to do that. The average "ink site" price is close to
>$100. I bought my printhead on eBay for $54. Regular shipping for US
>folks is free, I believe (from the dealer I got mine from).

Hey Taliesyn, when did your printhead die?

I don't recall seeing mention of it here, but then I've been busy with
other things. :)

Bill wrote:
> Taliesyn wrote:
>

>>You may not want to do that. The average "ink site" price is close to
>>$100. I bought my printhead on eBay for $54. Regular shipping for US
>>folks is free, I believe (from the dealer I got mine from).
>

> Hey Taliesyn, when did your printhead die?
>
> I don't recall seeing mention of it here, but then I've been busy with
> other things. :)

Well, it never really died, I just put it out of its misery. It would
print high quality text and graphics projects fine but photos had
visible, vertical head pass lines, something it didn't have in the
beginning when I compared it with an early photo. It would do this with
all papers and inks (even OEM). I got tired of that and actually
bought a new printer, the iP5000 this past Christmas. When my father
wanted me to do some of his digital photos too, I decided to replace
the printhead of the i860 ($54) and have two operational printers. One
for lesser jobs and one just for me :). Having two is actually cool.
Yesterday I printed a program for a special occasion (1 sheet, both
sides, folded). I needed 70 copies. So I had both printers working
simultaneously, each doing a side. Naturally, one had to have a
head start for this to work. It cut my job in half. Same with photos.
Sometimes I run them both simultaneously giving me 2 photos in 3
minutes, or whatever it takes at highest resolution.

The i860 that had the print head changed was earlier replaced by Canon.
The paper feed mechanism just suddenly began failing one day. So far
the replacement (and its new printhead) are working fine.

-Taliesyn

Thanks. Since the carts and printhead seem to be about the only cust.
replacable parts, I figured I'd get one while I can to extend the useful
life of my iP4000. Great printer, BTW.

"Taliesyn" <taliesyn4@netscape.net> wrote in message
> KnumbKnuts wrote:
> > I noticed that Canon does not sell replacement printheads on there
estore
> > site. How come? They are easy enough to find on several ink sites. Has
> > anyone ever bought one of these, and if so, was it reliable?
> >

> You may not want to do that. The average "ink site" price is close to
> $100. I bought my printhead on eBay for $54. Regular shipping for US
> folks is free, I believe (from the dealer I got mine from).
>
> Just type in the eBay search box your relevant information, for example:
> "Canon i860 printhead". That should get you the right seller. These are
> genuine Canon printheads.
>
> -Taliesyn
> (Taliesyn is not associated with any sellers on eBay or elsewhere)

I don't mean to be an "I told you so", but I have somewhere here
archived a discussion we had about Canon head failures, and I recall you
telling me that I was blowing so much smoke (to paraphrase). The
context, as I recall, was if Epson heads and Canon heads would last
equally long, because you complained about your Epson printers clogging
or some such thing (you used only 3rd party inks as I recall).

Hmmm....

Art

Taliesyn wrote:

> Bill wrote:
>
>> Taliesyn wrote:
>>

>>> You may not want to do that. The average "ink site" price is close to
>>> $100. I bought my printhead on eBay for $54. Regular shipping for US
>>> folks is free, I believe (from the dealer I got mine from).
>>

>> Hey Taliesyn, when did your printhead die?
>>
>> I don't recall seeing mention of it here, but then I've been busy with
>> other things. :)
>

> Well, it never really died, I just put it out of its misery. It would
> print high quality text and graphics projects fine but photos had
> visible, vertical head pass lines, something it didn't have in the
> beginning when I compared it with an early photo. It would do this with
> all papers and inks (even OEM). I got tired of that and actually
> bought a new printer, the iP5000 this past Christmas. When my father
> wanted me to do some of his digital photos too, I decided to replace
> the printhead of the i860 ($54) and have two operational printers. One
> for lesser jobs and one just for me :). Having two is actually cool.
> Yesterday I printed a program for a special occasion (1 sheet, both
> sides, folded). I needed 70 copies. So I had both printers working
> simultaneously, each doing a side. Naturally, one had to have a
> head start for this to work. It cut my job in half. Same with photos.
> Sometimes I run them both simultaneously giving me 2 photos in 3
> minutes, or whatever it takes at highest resolution.
>
> The i860 that had the print head changed was earlier replaced by Canon.
> The paper feed mechanism just suddenly began failing one day. So far
> the replacement (and its new printhead) are working fine.
>
> -Taliesyn

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <_X94e.171165$fc4.87738@edtnps89>, artistic@telus.net says...
> I don't mean to be an "I told you so", but I have somewhere here
> archived a discussion we had about Canon head failures, and I recall you
> telling me that I was blowing so much smoke (to paraphrase). The
> context, as I recall, was if Epson heads and Canon heads would last
> equally long, because you complained about your Epson printers clogging
> or some such thing (you used only 3rd party inks as I recall).
>
> Hmmm....
>
> Art

I want to know WHY anyone would want to buy a printhead for a Canon printer
when Canon will be only too happy to send you one for free, if you call them
up and run through tech. support.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Does Canon extend this offer for a free head beyond the warranty period,
or is this just during the first year?

Art

In article <CZs4e.520$VF5.99@edtnps89>, artistic@telus.net says...
> Does Canon extend this offer for a free head beyond the warranty period,
> or is this just during the first year?
>
> Art
>
> Larry wrote:

I havent ever needed to try, but I wouldn't expect they extend it unless you
pay for some sort of extended warrantee. (I never have done that)

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Larry wrote:
> In article <CZs4e.520$VF5.99@edtnps89>, artistic@telus.net says...
>
>>Does Canon extend this offer for a free head beyond the warranty period,
>>or is this just during the first year?
>>
>>Art
>>
>>Larry wrote:
>>

> I havent ever needed to try,

Which explains why you thought they'd be more than happy to send you a
new one. Which also explains why I bought one on eBay.

-Taliesyn

> but I wouldn't expect they extend it unless you
> pay for some sort of extended warrantee. (I never have done that)

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <11551imo1b741f9@corp.supernews.com>, taliesyn4@netscape.net
says...
> Which explains why you thought they'd be more than happy to send you a
> new one. Which also explains why I bought one on eBay.
>
> -Taliesyn

I have aquired replacemant prinheads from Canon, I have never tried (or
expected them to supply) a printhead out of warrany.

There is no good reason to expect them to supply one after warranty.

At the low price they sell the printers for, they probably dont break even to
begin with.

If you dont think the prices are low, thats your problem.

I remember paying over a thousand (US) dollars for a simple seven dot dot
matrix printer (in 1984 dollars) and thinking I got a bargain.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net> wrote:

> Does Canon extend this offer for a free head beyond the warranty period,
> or is this just during the first year?

According to the e-mail discussion I've been having with Canon, it is
just during the first year.

Rosemary

> Larry wrote:
>
> > In article <_X94e.171165$fc4.87738@edtnps89>, artistic@telus.net says...
> >
> >>I don't mean to be an "I told you so", but I have somewhere here
> >>archived a discussion we had about Canon head failures, and I recall you
> >>telling me that I was blowing so much smoke (to paraphrase). The
> >>context, as I recall, was if Epson heads and Canon heads would last
> >>equally long, because you complained about your Epson printers clogging
> >>or some such thing (you used only 3rd party inks as I recall).
> >>
> >>Hmmm....
> >>
> >>Art
> >>

> > I want to know WHY anyone would want to buy a printhead for a Canon printer
> > when Canon will be only too happy to send you one for free, if you call
> > them
> > up and run through tech. support.

--
To e-mail me remove the obvious before @ and change sinuswave to sinewave.

Look at it this way. The IP3000 is about $100. For $50 more you get an
extra tank and a print head that is somewhat different. For $250 more
you get twice the ink tanks and a different printhead.

Yes I know the software and firmware are different. But I see profit in
there. Maybe not as much as they would like.

Larry wrote:

>In article <11551imo1b741f9@corp.supernews.com>, taliesyn4@netscape.net
>says...
>

>>Which explains why you thought they'd be more than happy to send you a
>>new one. Which also explains why I bought one on eBay.
>>
>>-Taliesyn
>>

>I have aquired replacemant prinheads from Canon, I have never tried (or
>expected them to supply) a printhead out of warrany.
>
>There is no good reason to expect them to supply one after warranty.
>
>At the low price they sell the printers for, they probably dont break even to
>begin with.
>
>If you dont think the prices are low, thats your problem.
>
>I remember paying over a thousand (US) dollars for a simple seven dot dot
>matrix printer (in 1984 dollars) and thinking I got a bargain.

Isn't it messy to have to send the old head back to Canon or do they not
require it?

Dale Thompson wrote:

>In article <CZs4e.520$VF5.99@edtnps89>,
> Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net> wrote:
>

>>Does Canon extend this offer for a free head beyond the warranty period,
>>or is this just during the first year?
>>

>According to the e-mail discussion I've been having with Canon, it is
>just during the first year.
>
>Rosemary
>

>>Larry wrote:
>>

>>>In article <_X94e.171165$fc4.87738@edtnps89>, artistic@telus.net says...

>>>I want to know WHY anyone would want to buy a printhead for a Canon printer
>>>when Canon will be only too happy to send you one for free, if you call
>>>them
>>>up and run through tech. support.

Thanks Rosemary,

I expected as much... at least they don't consider it a "consumable"
like the cartridges of ink, at least for the first year.

I wonder how common head failures are with Canon printers during the
warranty period.

Art

"Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
> Does Canon extend this offer for a free head beyond the warranty period,
> or is this just during the first year?
>
> Art

Now why would it be covered 'beyond' the warranty???
If you purchase the Canon Extended Service Plan, it covers the printer AND
printhead for two additional years.

> Isn't it messy to have to send the old head back to Canon or do they not
> require it?

Not required.

The reason I asked this question was threefold.

1) The O.P. was not clear about the time element in his posting, and it
somewhat implied the offer might exist outside of the warranty period.

2) I was interested if Canon has decided, since they do not give the
printhead a specific time to failure, and imply the head is
"semi-permanent" that they might have determined a wider warranty on the
printhead.

3) The cost of head replacement needs to be considered as part of
operating expenses after one year if it is not under warranty.

Art