[SOLVED] Replacement CPU?

Jun 30, 2020
Solution
This is my current setup:

I believe that I fried the CPU*. Can I replace just the processor, or should I basically start over?

* Sunday, the machine suddenly shutdown. I thought it had just overheated. However, when I tried to start it up Monday the machine beeped 5 times and the screen stayed black.

The number of beeps tells you what the issue is (these are error codes and each number reffers to a different issue). A little digging online, it appears 5 beeps is a video card error (based on this forum thread for a similar motherboard from...
This is my current setup:

I believe that I fried the CPU*. Can I replace just the processor, or should I basically start over?

* Sunday, the machine suddenly shutdown. I thought it had just overheated. However, when I tried to start it up Monday the machine beeped 5 times and the screen stayed black.

The number of beeps tells you what the issue is (these are error codes and each number reffers to a different issue). A little digging online, it appears 5 beeps is a video card error (based on this forum thread for a similar motherboard from ASRock https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/5-beeps-on-start-up-970-extreme3-fx-6300.1372020/ ).

It's unusual for the cpu to just die (they are usually pretty robust). If you have had it for a while the thermal paste might have dried out so worth replacing that if you haven't done so for a while, and also make sure fan is cool.

Then take a look at the gpu - try resetting it, make sure the fan is clean, you could also try replacing thermal paste on the gpu as well.

Solution
It could be. They have a warranty period and if it's way past that it's a good idea to get another if you intend to keep using that pc. Better safe than sorry. With Covid the psu prices have been inflated too, so that's the bad news.

With pc equipment that's 7-10 years of age, anything could fail at any time.