Replacement fan for ATI 5870

madmanmalk

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
I have a crossfire setup of 5870's. Simply put, one of the fans is making a large noise. I believe its not working properly as I've opened it up for closer inspection. I would access the motor and fix it myself but its sealed shut.

Therefore is there anyway to recieve a new 5870 fan? Working replacement is all I need

Warranty is out of question since the company I bought my computer from were shut down. I asked XFX themselves and they said that they couldn't help in this situation.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Since you can't get service through the builder or manufacturer, that basically leaves one option - installing an aftermarket cooler. Well, that or opening up the cooler, removing the fan, and figuring out a method to stick a high-rpm/high-CFM 80mm fan (think Delta) in it's place...

Where do you live? (So we know where to look for possible parts.) If in the US or Canada, you could look at FrozenCPU.com's VGA coolers and see if something there strikes you. Just remember that many are thicker than stock dual-slot coolers, so the card that gets the aftermarket cooler would likely have to be installed in the bottom slot.

madmanmalk

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011

I live in the UK, I might try fully opening the motor of the fan to have a look. I've heard its easy.

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r230/madmalkesh/ some pics of the card spacing. Ignore the mess of wires.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Spacing's good. Even a 3-slot cooler should be safe in either slot. Always nice to see some motherboards get it right.

(Can't ignore the wires, man... I tried. 2 words - Cable Management!)

Have you removed the troubled card to inspect it out of the system? I see there's quite a bit of fine dust in there... Maybe it's dust build-up, or some foreign debris?

And removing the stock cooler so you can inspect it in more detail isn't too troublesome a task. Sometimes the thermal pads tear if they've dried up at all, but you can get new padding fairly cheap. (Pads @ FrozenCPU) You will need some good thermal grease for the GPU itself, though. As well as something to clean the old stuff off and a lint-free cloth. (I like this stuff Arcti-Clean.)

If the bearing in the fan is damaged, there's really no way to fix it.

madmanmalk

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah those are pic before I cleaned my PC out. Theres not much dust anymore and I did what you said and opened the card up.

The heat sink was a little dusty, however the problem persists. A little note If I tap the top of the card whiles its on the noise somewhat dims and rises back again.

I thought the spacing was too small to fit a simmilar cooler. Would it still be efficent if it were touching?

All I can find is this http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/20/accelero-xtreme-5870.html?c=2182
Which has 5.6cm height.

Also you may not see it but directly below the bottom card theres a X-fi Soundcard.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I saw the sound card. Looked like there was enough spacing for a 3-slot cooler, but that one power cable that seems to run through it worries me should you drop it in the lower card's slot.

I was able to find an alternative cooler from Zalman. It's the VF3000A.
FrozenCPU.com sells it
Hardware Secrets reviewed it, but for some reason, they installed it on a GTS250... But unlike the Arctic Cooling model, it's thinner so fit concerns lessen. Also, unlike many other coolers, it includes RAM and VRM heatsinks.

Unless you're willing the spend $100 or so, that's what I'd go with. And honestly, that's what you'll spend on some coolers due to needing their "extra" RAM/VRM heatsink accessories, and perhaps fans as well. (Such as the Thermalright T-Rad2.)

Here's a link to all the VGA coolers FrozenCPU.com sells. Browse through and research 'em. The Spire and Gelid coolers might work as well.

madmanmalk

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011

Thank you so much for your help, I had a look at the VGA cooler you linked. It would fit I believe (tightly though).

I think i'll buy that however just on a side note I had a look a liquid cooling. The plates take up considerably less space however fitting a radiator would be difficult in such a space? I'm thinking the fan placment is difficult. Although my side panel is set for a 24cm fan and made out of mesh however the liquid cooling thing for the cpu forced me to remove that fan.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Water-cooling is always an option. I don't know if your case would be capable of accommodating the components internally, but it doesn't necessarily have to. And if you were gonna water-cool one card, you may as well do them both, right?

Water-cooling can get expensive. The GPU waterblocks can run about $100 each, and radiator/reservoir kits are usually a solid $120, or more, depending upon their size and/or cooling capacity. Plus there's fluid, fittings, tubing... It can add up, fast.

Some cases are designed with the capacity to house radiators and reservoirs internally, but a new case would add to the expense. You might want to hit up the water-cooling forum for more guidance if you're genuinely considering it as an alternative.

madmanmalk

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011

Well it was just idea, seems too expensive now that I think about it. I add a reply after I fit the new fan system. Hopefully it'll be more than efficent!