[SOLVED] Replacement for a nzxt rf-fn122-rb 120mm 3 pin fan

frusubilam

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2015
I need to replace this nzxt rf-fn122-rb 120mm 3 pin desktop case fan. Won't be used for gaming.

What is the main criteria for what is going to work? Will any 120mm fan do as far as fit is concerned?

Here are the Amazon "Compare with similar items"

Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM, High Performance Cooling Fan, 4-Pin, 1700 RPM (120mm, Grey)

ARCTIC F12-120 mm Standard Low Noise Case Fan - Fluid Dynamic Bearing - Innovative Design

Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM, High Performance Cooling Fan, 4-Pin, 1500 RPM (140mm, Grey)

But they're all 4 pin fans, so why are they considered "similar"?

I found this 3 pin Arctic, But will it fit and be sufficient? I still have 2 other nzxt fans in the case. Could that create a conflict?

Amazon.com: ARCTIC F12 Silent, 120 mm 3-Pin Fan with Standard Case and Higher Airflow, Quiet and Efficient Ventilation: Computers & Accessories

What do you recommend?

Solution
Yes, most any 120mm fan will work. That Arctic will do fine as a case fan. Only spins at 800 RPM so it will be fairly quiet even at full speed.

4-pin fans are designed for PWM speed control. If your motherboard has 4-pin fan headers, then you would be able to set the fans to follow a temperature, like CPU/GPU, etc to control speed.

If you choose a 4-pin fan anyway, they will still work in a 3-pin header, they will just run at their maximum speed, so the high output ones will be noisy.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, most any 120mm fan will work. That Arctic will do fine as a case fan. Only spins at 800 RPM so it will be fairly quiet even at full speed.

4-pin fans are designed for PWM speed control. If your motherboard has 4-pin fan headers, then you would be able to set the fans to follow a temperature, like CPU/GPU, etc to control speed.

If you choose a 4-pin fan anyway, they will still work in a 3-pin header, they will just run at their maximum speed, so the high output ones will be noisy.

Reactions: frusubilam
Solution