[SOLVED] Replacement for AMD Radeon HD5450

Sep 8, 2019
Hello,
I have a home built computer that I purchased on Craigslist.
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955, 3.2 GHz
RAM: 12 GB
Motherboard: Micro-Star Z1-7596
Graphics card: AMD Radeon 5450
Disk drive: Samsung HD204UI

The computer came with Win7 and got upgraded to Win10 when forced to a few years ago. Ever since upgrading to Win10 I have had problems (the latest being this past August when I had to do a clean Win 10 install). I believe the problems are related to drivers for the Radeon 5450 graphics card.

I currently have 2 crappy 20" monitors but was wanting to replace them with something like this: https://www.costco.com/Samsung-32"-Class-Curved-Monitor.product.100416413.html

My original question was: Will my current graphics card drive this monitor? However, given the problems that I seem to have with Win10 updates, should I just get a newer/better graphics card?

I do not game on my computer. The most resource intensive thing that I do is run SolidWorks CAD software.

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced, reliable graphics card that would suit my needs?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Your current card should drive one monitor like that through HDMI just fine. Given how Solidworks requires a Quadro or Radeon Pro card to hardware accelerate RealView (there is a workaround for consumer grade gaming cards), reasonably priced low-end cards aren't going to help it.

If you have any issues with the driver WindowsUpdates installs, you should manually install the latest WHQL 15.7.1 yourself. You could try the Crimson beta driver which is a year newer, but that one breaks OpenCL and HDCP support
Your current card should drive one monitor like that through HDMI just fine. Given how Solidworks requires a Quadro or Radeon Pro card to hardware accelerate RealView (there is a workaround for consumer grade gaming cards), reasonably priced low-end cards aren't going to help it.

If you have any issues with the driver WindowsUpdates installs, you should manually install the latest WHQL 15.7.1 yourself. You could try the Crimson beta driver which is a year newer, but that one breaks OpenCL and HDCP support

Solution
Sep 8, 2019
Thanks BFG-9000.
It looks like I have a slightly later version than what's on the linked AMD download page (I have version 15.201.1151.1008, 11/4/2015). I'll probably stick with that vs potentially introducing new problems .

Sounds like that one is 4 months newer. I would certainly leave it alone too unless a newer "feature update" build of Windows 10 develops a problem with it!

That card could drive one of the crappy 20" at the same time also, if it turns out you need the desktop space. HD5450 usually lack a Displayport though, so all three monitors is out.