Status
Not open for further replies.

xpqs

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
After years of good service my NAS died totally after what I assume was an electrical event. The problem is that it lived so long the 1TB WD10ears I used in them are no longer supported by modern NAS like the Synology DS218J I was going to purchase.

Now in this age of cloud backups and streaming media I don't really need a NAS (though it would be nice to have) but I really don't want to lose the data I had backed up on the hard drives. Would appreciate any advice on getting the data off the old drives, either by using a new NAS that can support a pair of these 1TB drives or using something else to extract the information.

thanks,

xp

Reactions: Mimisss
Solution
It has been a long time since I had a DNS323, but I think it uses EXT3 and mdadm. You might be able to boot a Linux live CD and see if you can read one of the disks with a USB adapter. If you can read the data, copy it to another drive. Then you can allow your new NAS to format the drives.

kanewolf

Titan
It has been a long time since I had a DNS323, but I think it uses EXT3 and mdadm. You might be able to boot a Linux live CD and see if you can read one of the disks with a USB adapter. If you can read the data, copy it to another drive. Then you can allow your new NAS to format the drives.

Solution

xpqs

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Thanks, wonder if my Mac mini be able to read the drive with the USB adapter which I think I still have. Would any modern NAS support this drive ?

USAFRet

Titan
After years of good service my NAS died totally after what I assume was an electrical event. The problem is that it lived so long the 1TB WD10ears I used in them are no longer supported by modern NAS like the Synology DS218J I was going to purchase.
That WD is a standard SATA drive. Still supported in any current situation, NAS or otherwise.

Of course, WD Greens are NOT recommended for any NAS use.

xpqs

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I asked on Amazon and got the response from Synology that it did not, hence my post. I could buy the NAS and try but was hoping someone had succeed with a product I could order it with confidence that it would work.

xpqs

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Following up I got the Synology but it couldn't read the drives. I also tried through my USB adapter but neither my Mac or Kubuntu worked. The Mac can't read the drive and Kubuntu doesn't see any of the files :oops:.

If it's ext3 I should be able to read it in some version of Linux. Any suggestions on what I can try ?

thanks,
X.

kanewolf

Titan
Following up I got the Synology but it couldn't read the drives. I also tried through my USB adapter but neither my Mac or Kubuntu worked. The Mac can't read the drive and Kubuntu doesn't see any of the files :oops:.

If it's ext3 I should be able to read it in some version of Linux. Any suggestions on what I can try ?

thanks,
X.
It is quite possible the disk has failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.