[SOLVED] Replacement for dying RX 480 8GB in Canada

tvilaboa

Reputable
Oct 4, 2016
Hi! I moved recently to Canada and my RX 480 is dying so I'm looking for a replacement: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/black-screen-gpu-or-psu.3561751/

Are there any days before Black Friday I should be aware of to buy a GPU? Thanks!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Around April 20 but I can wait if there is a better date BUDGET RANGE: 200-400 CAD After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming [wide range, WOW, Witcher 3, AoE 2, TWW2, etc but I don't expect ultra quality in all of them] and occasional use of Photoshop and media tools but nothing really important. Will probably use for Folding@Home if noise is low enough.

CURRENT SPECS:
  • MSI RX 480 GAMING X 8G (bough on 2016 and used to mine ethereum for a while with a little overclock) 110W
  • EVGA Supernova 850W G2
  • Ryzen 1700x 95W with Noctua NH-D15
  • 32gb Ram
  • GA-AX370-Gaming K7
  • Phantek Enthoo Luxe
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I usually use Amazon/Newegg, but I'm fine with anything COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

If you do not know of a store for your country this thread will point you in the right direction: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1643019/guide-international-users-links-part-stores.html

Tom's Hardware gets users from literally all over the world. Knowing the pricing and availability of parts relative to where you live will help us (the community) to help you (the original poster) better.

PARTS PREFERENCES:
None.

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 60hz

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm trying to get at least the same performance I had with the RX 480 working ok. I'm also trying to understand if it makes sense to go for something newer like a 1660 or RX 5600 XT . I'm not planning to change to 4k or 120hz for now.

REMEMBER: The more information we have about your system, your budget, and what you're using the card for, the better the advice we can give you - providing it up front gets you your answers and puts a card in your hands that much faster!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Include a list of any GPUs you are currently considering or would like opinions on.

XFX RX 570 4GB GDDR5 RS XXX Edition PCI-Express 3.0 Graphics Card RX-570P427D6,Black/Red

MSI Gaming Radeon RX 5500 XT Boost Clock: 1845 MHz 128-bit 8GB GDDR6 DP/HDMI Dual Torx 3.0 Fans Crossfire Freesync VR Ready Graphics Card (RX 5500 XT Gaming X 8G)

XFX RX 5600 XT Thicc III PRO 6GB GDDR6 Boost UP to 1600MHz 3xDP HDMI PCI-E 4.0 Grahics Card RX-56XT6TFD8

Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Super Overclocked 6GB Phoenix Fan Edition HDMI DP DVI Graphics Card (PH-GTX1660S-O6G)

Thanks!

Apr 3, 2020
Hmmm it is funny how my gpu Which is Rx 470 is also having the same issue since i made my new PC
Gpu fans ram up to 100% the second i go ingame and even the idles temp are 60+C

tvilaboa

Reputable
Oct 4, 2016
Reviews can answer that question
TL; DR the 5600XT is generally at least 33% faster than the 5500XT. Therefore justifying the 33% price increase.

How much performance do you want to buy? That's up to you.
You are right, it does make sense. I guess I'll probably go for that one. Are there any dates before Black Fryday which I should be aware of? I just moved to North America and I'm still new to some things. Thanks!