Replacement for Gateway motherboard

Apr 27, 2018
I have a Gateway DX-4870-UB20P which has a bad motherboard. I've found an Intel board which appears to match the key requirements (DDR3 RAM, LGA 1155, Micro-ATX form factor, USB 2.0 and 3.0) but I'm concerned about whether my Windows load will function. I've read that if you have an OEM install, booting to anything other than an OEM motherboard will invalidate the license key. Is that true? The board I'm considering also has the H67 chipset instead of the B75 chipset of the original. Will that matter?

Solution
As long as you are replacing a bad motherboard, it will not invalidate the license key. The worst that would happen is you would need to phone Microsoft to activate the new motherboard. Just make clear the old motherboard is dead. Microsoft just want's to make sure the OEM license key is only being used on one computer, not two.
As long as you are replacing a bad motherboard, it will not invalidate the license key. The worst that would happen is you would need to phone Microsoft to activate the new motherboard. Just make clear the old motherboard is dead. Microsoft just want's to make sure the OEM license key is only being used on one computer, not two.

Solution