[SOLVED] Replacement for GeForce GT330 1024M DDR3 ?

doxology

Honorable
Mar 22, 2016
so...

About a month ago...my recording studio PC wouldn't boot. It would attempt to start...run 20 seconds...turn off...& repeat that sequence over & over. On the advice of someone here...I pulled, then reinstalled the graphics card; & it went back to working fine ('till now). I'm thinking I should just replace the graphics card...start there.

It currently has a PNY GeForce GT330 1024M DDR3. That replaced a GeForce 8400GS 256 MB (about 3 years ago...at which time the machine wouldn't boot 'till after I replaced the card w/ the one in there now).

What would be the appropriate replacement/modern equivalent? (don't really need super-dooper graphics output...I just want this problem to go away, so I can finish my CD release).

thanx,

mwf
Zallman Tower, w/ RS-700-AMBA-D3 Cooler Master Silent Pro Power Supply
Intel Core i7 LGA1155 MoBo, w/ Intel Core i7 2600 CPU
16 GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Seagate 500 GB SATA II (Primary) HD
Seagate 1 TB SATA II (Audio Data) HD
PNY GeForce GT330 1024M DDR3 (replaced GeForce 8400GS 256 MB)
Win 7 Professional 64-Bit
Lynx Aurora8 ~ AES16
Universal Audio UAD-1
Cakewalk SONAR PE XI
Steinberg WaveLab 7
NI Komplete 5
PG Music Band-in-a-Box 2012

(Also: Ordered a PSU online...figured I'd replace that also)

Last edited:
Solution
GT330 isn't exactly a powerhouse. GT 1030 are regularly available, but the cheap ones are DDR3 based rather than GDDR5. You could also opt for a GT730, but the ones available today are almost always the crappy DDR3 versions. They just aren't worth the money.

Wasn't until Ivy Bridge that boards almost universally starting having display outputs for the integrated graphics.

On the used market you can probably find other inbetween cards, GT430, GT530, and GT630 (They really haven't changed much until the GT1030 which is the lowest end GPU still in production)

AMD is in a similar situation, they aren't actively making their cheap cards. But you could look for R5-230 and the like.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GT330 isn't exactly a powerhouse. GT 1030 are regularly available, but the cheap ones are DDR3 based rather than GDDR5. You could also opt for a GT730, but the ones available today are almost always the crappy DDR3 versions. They just aren't worth the money.

Wasn't until Ivy Bridge that boards almost universally starting having display outputs for the integrated graphics.

On the used market you can probably find other inbetween cards, GT430, GT530, and GT630 (They really haven't changed much until the GT1030 which is the lowest end GPU still in production)

AMD is in a similar situation, they aren't actively making their cheap cards. But you could look for R5-230 and the like.

Solution

doxology

Honorable
Mar 22, 2016
Why not just use the GPU integrated into the i7
papatim...

back of Zallman tower looks like this:
Dsc01401.jpg

as opposed to this:
Image10.png

(not even seeing HDMI)

mwf