[SOLVED] Replacement for i5 6600

terranceandroblox

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
I did a benchmark test for my PC and it seems that it's finally time to upgrade my processor. Even after overclocking it still preforms "way below expectations (7th percentile)" according to UserBenchMark. I'm looking for a new processor that would allow me to run beefy games like MW and Fortnite while being able to have music, Discord, and even Chrome all be opened in the background without any lag or fps drops. I heard i7's are best at doing that and wanted to get an idea of a good, cheap processor that would be able to accomplish running beefy games like MW or Fortnite while being able to have music, Discord, and even Chrome all be opened in the background without any lag or fps drops.

Here are my current specs:

Motherboard: MSI H110I PRO AC

Processor: Intel Core i5-6600

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070

SSD: SanDisk X400 256GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB & WD Blue 1TB

RAM: XPG DDR4 2400 2OZ 2x4GB

Solution
6700, 6700k, 7700, 7700k all have inflated prices not worthy of consideration, as they are the sole 4c/8t options for 100/200 series mainboards. IMO, barring finding one of the above for sale at $95 ( all but impossible), I'd not put any more money into the platform.

For the typical $400 asked for 7700K on Amazon, one could get a good B450, an R5-3600, and 16 GB of DDR4-3200 MHz RAM...

With 12 threads, you'd then have plenty for simultaneous gaming, music, chat, streaming. (As the 6600's four limited threads make maintaining minimum FPS in many newer games a challenge, one would have to confine it to gaming only, skipping/minimizing all additional tasks while awaiting your new CPU/mainboard)
Don't use userbenchmark as a "benchmark" run PassMark, you should get about 6000 score for the CPU, with nothing running in the background (turn off any of the programs that load at start up such as those that sit in the system tray). Are you actually having issues with things? You may want to upgrade to 16 GB Ram before looking for a new CPU as well as check for a newer BIOS and chipset drivers for the motherboard.

Reactions: vMax

terranceandroblox

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
Don't use userbenchmark as a "benchmark" run PassMark, you should get about 6000 score for the CPU, with nothing running in the background (turn off any of the programs that load at start up such as those that sit in the system tray). Are you actually having issues with things? You may want to upgrade to 16 GB Ram before looking for a new CPU as well as check for a newer BIOS and chipset drivers for the motherboard.
Here is my benchmark scores with PassMark: https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V10/display.php?id=126455439056

what is recommended that I upgrade?

You could of course upgrade to a 6700 for an additional 4 threads but finding one cheap might be a task. Look for a second hand one if you can..More memory as suggested will also help and it looks like you can install a M.2 NVME ssd and even though only at Gen 2 x 2 it will still be better than a normal HD drive..

The expensive route If you are going to upgrade, the 10600K or the 10700K, both will give about as good a gaming experience as possible with the 10600K at 6 cores and 12 threads and the 10700K at 8 cores and 16 threads. The 10600K is good value and overclocks very easily to 5GHz and was given a thumbs up by Gamers Nexus as one of the best gaming CPU's out right now...

This will mean a new motherboard in Z490 and I would look to upping to 16gb from 8gb.

And the cost effective route is Ryzen 3600 on a B450 motherboard, again 6 cores and 12 threads and pound for pound great value...

terranceandroblox

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
You could of course upgrade to a 6700 for an additional 4 threads but finding one cheap might be a task. Look for a second hand one if you can..More memory as suggested will also help and it looks like you can install a M.2 NVME ssd and even though only at Gen 2 x 2 it will still be better than a normal HD drive..

The expensive route If you are going to upgrade, the 10600K or the 10700K, both will give about as good a gaming experience as possible with the 10600K at 6 cores and 12 threads and the 10700K at 8 cores and 16 threads. The 10600K is good value and overclocks very easily to 5GHz and was given a thumbs up by Gamers Nexus as one of the best gaming CPU's out right now...

This will mean a new motherboard in Z490 and I would look to upping to 16gb from 8gb.

And the cost effective route is Ryzen 3600 on a B450 motherboard, again 6 cores and 12 threads and pound for pound great value...
based off my benchmarks, what is recommended to upgrade first, or at least what would fix the issues of being able to multitask lag free

6700, 6700k, 7700, 7700k all have inflated prices not worthy of consideration, as they are the sole 4c/8t options for 100/200 series mainboards. IMO, barring finding one of the above for sale at $95 ( all but impossible), I'd not put any more money into the platform.

For the typical $400 asked for 7700K on Amazon, one could get a good B450, an R5-3600, and 16 GB of DDR4-3200 MHz RAM...

With 12 threads, you'd then have plenty for simultaneous gaming, music, chat, streaming. (As the 6600's four limited threads make maintaining minimum FPS in many newer games a challenge, one would have to confine it to gaming only, skipping/minimizing all additional tasks while awaiting your new CPU/mainboard)

Reactions: mkaafy and vMax
Solution
My God, I just looked on ebay for second hand 6700's...absurd prices!!!!! what is going on?