Vladimir_Budinski

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
So I need to replace my motherboard (since the one I own currently is very old and doesn't support newer GPUs) and my current CPU, i7 2600, has the socket LGA 1155. The cheapest motherboard for that socket (as far as I know) is around 130-140 euros. Is it worth it to upgrade my motherboard to for example LGA 1151 and upgrade my cpu, or is it better to just buy the motherboard and keep the CPU? And if I should replace both my motherboard and my CPU, which CPU is cheap (under 100 euros) and will not make a huge impact on my performance?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
So I need to replace my motherboard (since the one I own currently is very old and doesn't support newer GPUs) and my current CPU, i7 2600, has the socket LGA 1155. The cheapest motherboard for that socket (as far as I know) is around 130-140 euros. Is it worth it to upgrade my motherboard to for example LGA 1151 and upgrade my cpu, or is it better to just buy the motherboard and keep the CPU? And if I should replace both my motherboard and my CPU, which CPU is cheap (under 100 euros) and will not make a huge impact on my performance?

Thanks in advance.
277 Buying new stuff.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor | £123.99 @ Amazon UK...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Really rather according to what you are looking for and specific purpose for the computer. Personally, if I were going to keep the 2600 I would search for a used motherboard or a complete system you could pick up cheap to take it from.
In the case that you can't find something used/cheap, I certainly would not spend asking prices (new) for the limited selection and 2nd rate manufacturers you are likely to find those from at this point. Go "new" new.

Reactions: Vladimir_Budinski

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Thanks in advance.
277 Buying new stuff.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor | £123.99 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard | ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | £74.98 @ Amazon UK
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | £78.67 @ Amazon UK
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £277.64
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-05 14:58 BST+0100 |

Solution
Legacy BIOS issue?
That would usually only be an issue on older motherboards from 2004-2008ish and even then it's a patchwork of what will work and what doesn't. I've never seen a GPU from the last 5 years ever have any issue running on any LGA1155 Intel 60/70 series chipset motherboard.

Before it died, I had been using some MSI nforce 680i SLI board from 2006 for cryptocoin mining, running a GTX 970 and 1060 without compatibility issues even though many people have issues running the GTX 1000 series on older hardware. Sometimes a Bios update will fix it.

Vladimir_Budinski

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
I'm curious why you think your motherboard doesn't support newer GPUs. What makes you say that?

My motherboard is at least 10 years old and has Bios issues. I already bough a newer GPU (Gtx 1650) and it didn't support it. I then looked onto Lenovo's forums about the same motherboard and others were also saying they had problems with this same motherboard.

My motherboard is at least 10 years old and has Bios issues. I already bough a newer GPU (Gtx 1650) and it didn't support it. I then looked onto Lenovo's forums about the same motherboard and others were also saying they had problems with this same motherboard.
What is the system model? Do you have the motherboard model number? I'm just curious why it wouldn't work. Edit - It might just be a 25watt limit on the PCIE x16 slot.

Last edited:
Lenovo IdeaCentre K430 Erazer T430 Desktop Motherboard CIZ75M Z75 LGA 1155. It's from a prebuilt pc.
Hmmm, so I guess two of the most likely reasons for a newer GPU not working in that motherboard are either it's set to legacy bios instead of UEFI or you need to reset the bios to defaults before booting the system when you have installed a new GPU. There doesn't appear to be a bios update, so that isn't a possible fix.

Switching to UEFI bios will or can cause issues with your current Windows installation if you're using legacy bios. It's fixable, but can sometimes cause data loss. If you upgrade to a new motherboard, you would want to reinstall Windows 10 anyway as well as reactivate your HDD or SSD as GPT instead of MBR if it's not already GPT and you also want to keep using the same drive.

I would say it's not really worth using the system anymore unless you get a replacement motherboard to run newer GPUs. So you should continue with your plan to upgrade to a new platform.

Vladimir_Budinski

Prominent
Jul 5, 2020
Hmmm, so I guess two of the most likely reasons for a newer GPU not working in that motherboard are either it's set to legacy bios instead of UEFI or you need to reset the bios to defaults before booting the system when you have installed a new GPU. There doesn't appear to be a bios update, so that isn't a possible fix.

Switching to UEFI bios will or can cause issues with your current Windows installation if you're using legacy bios. It's fixable, but can sometimes cause data loss. If you upgrade to a new motherboard, you would want to reinstall Windows 10 anyway as well as reactivate your HDD or SSD as GPT instead of MBR if it's not already GPT and you also want to keep using the same drive.

I would say it's not really worth using the system anymore unless you get a replacement motherboard to run newer GPUs. So you should continue with your plan to upgrade to a new platform.

Alright, thanks for the help.