this is a
Radeon 3000 Graphics GPU RS780

The CPU is AMD FX-6100 6 core
Code Name Zambezi

The Motherboard is an
ASUSTeK Model M5A78L-M/USB3 (AM3R2)
The operating system is Win10 pro

The PSU is an HKC sz 430r 430 watt

My question is given the above specs, what would be a suitable (cheap) upgrade for the GPU card?
Hopefully I have given you enough information
Thank You,
Chris
btw I do not need an all singing all dancing latest model card,
just a minor card upgrade possibly to something with fan assisted cooling?

Solution
Hallo All,
My computer keeps crashing & all evidence seems to point to the graphics card,
this is a

Code Name Zambezi

The Motherboard is an

My question is given the above specs, what would be a suitable (cheap) upgrade for the GPU card?
Thank You,
Chris
You have just basic built in graphics on the cheap something like this would work and be about 300% better...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hallo All,
My computer keeps crashing & all evidence seems to point to the graphics card,
this is a

Code Name Zambezi

The Motherboard is an

Thank You,
Chris
You have just basic built in graphics on the cheap something like this would work and be about 300% better that is still not saying much it's not a gaming card at all.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-ge...VmxPUAR2k9gEyEAQYBCABEgJdCfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Solution
What evidence directs you to a graphics issue?
The fx processors are way past their prime.
I might suspect a heat related issue.
Try taking the case covers off and direct a house fan at the innards.
See if that helps.

Another suspect source might be the power supply.

Jan 15, 2022
yes, I think it is a Graphics issue as the GPU appears to run at least 10 degrees or so (f) higher temp than any other part of the system,
also it normally crashes & restarts when I switch out of a possible high use system?
something like this( https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html)

'As you say it is a nearly 10 year old system & probably quite ready for complete replacement, I shan't argue with that, as I can see that is not worth replacing individual items & probably is far better to replace the whole system !

Gentlemen, Thank You both for your input on this you both deserve "cups" which I will award now"

Would you mind please helping me further & giving me an opinion on this set up please (sorry there website is down) will post later!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The symptoms you describe aren't necessarily the motherboard's integrated GPU, but a very cheap GT 710 or something just so you can use the PC would work fine.

We wouldn't recommend a fancier GPU anyway with a fake 430W PSU (it's 180W at best, and probably not a good 180W PSU).

InvalidError

Titan
yes, I think it is a Graphics issue as the GPU appears to run at least 10 degrees or so (f) higher temp than any other part of the system,
The temperature of a component being "10C hotter than everything else" doesn't matter if it is normal for that component to be at that temperature.

My CPU is usually at 50-60C, which is 10-20C hotter than everything else in my system at idle. That is normal since my CPU fan profile is set to 0% until 50C and 30% at 60C.

If you don't have any truly GPU-specific reason to suspect the GPU, I would suspect the pretend-430W PSU first. If you are going to throw new parts at a 10 years old computer, at least get a decent quality PSU that you can reuse when you decide to toss the rest of your old parts so you don't blow up your new parts on a old questionable PSU. It is a kind of a necessary upgrade no matter which way you slice it.

Well Gentlemen, I have bitten the bullet & bought this

https://tvdlcomputers.nl/product/dell-precision-3620-tower-intel-core-i5-7500-256gb-ssd-16gb-w1

what do you think of my choice? does anyone have any thoughts (either positive or negative) over this model?

thank you for all your help!

especially for convincing my wife that a new computer was the best long term investment
I think your choice was reasonable.

That said, the time to ask for opinions is BEFORE you buy.

Reactions: Karadjgne