[SOLVED] Replacement GPU or External GPU for HP Envy x360 convertible?

Dec 23, 2019
Hi guys,

TL;DR => Is it possible to replace the GPU in an HP Envy x360? Or is it better to get an eGPU?

Full story:
I bought this new laptop less than 2 weeks ago. HP Envy x360 15-DR1300ND.
The specs are great, so It's a great laptop for a freelance marketer who is always on the go.

It comes with an MX250 GPU.
Prior to buying it, I read in a forum that 'GPU doesn't matter all that much for video editing, the CPU does most of the work'.

However, when I tried to edit a video for a client, I came to the grim realization that the GPU isn't compatible with Adobe Premiere Pro.
It isn't listed as one of the Recommended graphics cards for Adobe Premiere Pro. (see list here)

Basically, when running Premiere Pro, the laptop just becomes sluggish by the second, until it's just impossible to work with.
All the while, the cpu / memory / gpu stats in the task manager overview are fine.

I bought it at an online store (not directly from HP), but I sent HP customer service a message, asking about replacement GPUs.
The HP rep said upgrading the GPU could not be done and that I should contact the online store and return the laptop. They also said something about the laptop needing to be in its original state if I wanted to do anything warranty-related (which isn't relevant to me).
I contacted the online store, there they said that the laptop could not be returned because I had already 'used' it.

So now, since I am stuck with the laptop, I have 2 options it seems.

1. Upgrade the GPU anyway, if possible.
  2. Look into eGPUs
What do you guys recommend? Is upgrading the GPU in an HP Envy x360 really that impossible?
Is an eGPU worth it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
It is impossible to upgrade gpu unless you count buying a whole new laptop an upgrade. You'd have to take out the wifi card for an egpu. The whole bottom panel comes off and exposes everything and you'll have to run it like that which I wouldn't recommend. Check more into their return policy and push more for a return.
It is impossible to upgrade gpu unless you count buying a whole new laptop an upgrade. You'd have to take out the wifi card for an egpu. The whole bottom panel comes off and exposes everything and you'll have to run it like that which I wouldn't recommend. Check more into their return policy and push more for a return.

Reactions: zengalaxy
Solution