Question Replacement GPU (RTX 3080) crashing my PC. Faulty Replacement? XMP/DOCP causing GPU instability? PSU (RM850x) failing?

Mar 15, 2022
Hi all, I’ve been running my PC with no issues for the past 1-2 years with no issues. Recently had to RMA my GPU (EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra) due to one of the fans failing.

Hoping to get some input from the community here as I don't quite understand why I experienced these new to me problems after swapping in the exact same GPU... any thoughts are appreciated!

I received a replacement 3080 (exact same card) and upon boot up I received a CPU and then DRAM light error on my mobo.

I ended up clearing the CMOS which allowed me to get to the desktop but shortly crashed after opening up a Steam game and Youtube due to nvlddmkm.sys error. I then reinstalled my GPU drivers which seemed to fix that error.

However, once I turned on XMP/DOCP to get my RAM (Crucial Ballistix 3600 (16GBx2) CL16) back to my original settings the crashes restarted with the DRAM light coming on again. Went back to XMP/DOCP off.

Wanting to confirm it was a RAM issue, I turned XMP/DOCP a few hours later, and surprisingly the PC is fine and able to run benchmarks (i.e. 3DMark) and games (Cyberpunk/Lost Ark) with no issues. It is now a day later and all seems fine.

-Should I be concerned that my replacement GPU is faulty?
-Is my RAM/PSU (2 years old) starting to have issues?

SPECS
MOBO: ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
GPU: EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 3600 (16GBx2) CL16
PSU: Corsair RM850x
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS