replacement hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrick53

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
what hard drive do i choose started slowing down i have back up disk and external drive. USB install.
hp compaq 6005 Po sff 500 GB 66H SATA-III 6.0GB
Windows 10 Pro Upgrade
How to format new hard drive and install?

sorryboi

Reputable
Dec 26, 2016
Be more specific. What is your situation, why you need a hard drive, what is your primary task with it, how much are you expecting, your budget, etc. This forum post is way too short. A question like that simply can't be answered.

Update: Can you use proper grammar, I don't understand what you're trying to say.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
one that fits in the case, in the connector and in yor budget

tell us more for what and where, price and size you need to have a idea

with this little information, we can tell you good brands, toshiba, western digital and hitachi, for ssd there is more good brands, tell us more to know what you need

Is hard drive for laptop or desktop first of all?
Hard drive for boot drive (what you put OS and programs on)?
How big of size do you need?
Is Hard drive for backups, media, video survellance or other 24/7 usage, NAS storage in RAID array?

I can recommend a very expensive enterprise grade 2.5" drive that covers all the bases, but I doubt that is what you are looking for, thus please clarify.

I just don't see a place for a Hard Drive in any current build, we stopped using them almost 7 years ago. As SSDs still aren't that suited to larger storage needs because it's cost prohibitive, the SSHD remains the 'bridge' between the two technologies.

An enthusiast 7200 rpm HD will boot windows in 21.2 seconds.

An SSD will do that in 15.6 seconds (about 3/4 of the time) but getting above say the 250 GB storage mark is still cost prohibitive for most users. And a SSD does squat when you 650 GB Steam library is sitting on ya slow HD.

The SSHD will do it in 16.5 seconds and it's a rare individual who will notice the 0.9 extra seconds.

Let's look at two 7200 rpm HDs in gaming performance
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/hdd-charts-2013/-17-PCMark-7-Gaming,2915.html

WD Black = 6.54 MB/se
Seagate Barrcuda = 6.56 MB/sec

Now let's look at the Seagate SSHD at 9.76 MB/sec... over 50% faster

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5748/seagate-desktop-2tb-sshd-st2000dx001-review/index9.html

With the increasing market penetration of the SSD, a lot of users have now had the chance to upgrade their PCs. Now we all know while SSDs offer massive benefits in terms of performance, they have always lacked in one area - capacity. A situation like this left most power users using an SSD for their operating system, while still running a secondary mechanical drive for storage and games.

A typical setup such as this would allow the OS to load very quickly, while leaving you stunned at how long it took to load a game. With the introduction of the Desktop SSHD, Seagate has again switched up the game, offering a substantial performance boost to those of you in this situation. Now, if you are one that chooses to use a single drive for your operating system, and have held onto your standard desktop HDD for the benefit of capacity, the Desktop SSHD is calling your name. The 8GB of NAND cache in conjunction with Seagate's application optimized algorithms should offer a tremendous performance boost, and again the more you use, it the faster the drive will get, as it learns how you use your system.

In every case seen here today, the Seagate Desktop SSHD excels, whether it be a synthetic point and click benchmark like HD Tune or ATTO, or even application traces via PCMark 8, the drive just performs.

When budget allows, we recommend a 250 GB SSD + 2 TB SSHD. If that breaks the budget, and requires day a GPU downgrade to accommodate, we recommend starting with the SSHD on its own 250 GB partition, and then adding the SSD when budget allows.

Status
Not open for further replies.