Replacement heatsink screws for laptop?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Anyway on a laptop motherboard design, removing a screws won't make the surface
Thank you, sorry for going off topic but I was actually asking about the thermal paste. Do you know the answer?

It's just like thermal pad but more messy when you remove the heat-sink, if you are working on small and "crowded" areas (like on a laptop) you probably want to use thermal pad instead.

I used to replace the thermal pads on the North Bridge and South Bridge on my computer motherboards with thermal paste as those places are easy to wipe and clean. The South Bridge's heat-sink only use two plastic nails to hold the heat-sink, I apply thermal paste and the motherboard is installed vertically, no problem at all.

Reactions: ShangWang
GettyImages-480599612-07e39506590d43dab4b24e8ce1a31d5c.jpg

Two plastic nails placed diagonally are enough to hold the heat-sink evenly.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Anyway on a laptop motherboard design, removing a screws won't make the surface

It's just like thermal pad but more messy when you remove the heat-sink, if you are working on small and "crowded" areas (like on a laptop) you probably want to use thermal pad instead.

I used to replace the thermal pads on the North Bridge and South Bridge on my computers with thermal paste as those places are easy to wipe and clean. The South Bridge's heat-sink only use two plastic nails to hold the heat-sink, I apply thermal paste and the motherboard is installed vertically, no problem at all.
I see, I tried looking for an answer myself, it seems the paste does re-form overtime but I don't think how tight screws are will affect how fast it dries or deforms.

Though do you think it's necessary to replace thermal pads that came with my heatsink for those dies that are not CPU and GPU? I don't even know what they do but I'm assuming they don't need to be replaced if they don't conduct that much heat. They still seemed pretty sticky on both sides and I would have no idea how to tell if they are too old or not working as effectively.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
GettyImages-480599612-07e39506590d43dab4b24e8ce1a31d5c.jpg

Two plastic nails placed diagonally are enough to hold the heat-sink evenly.
I had just realized I already had blue loctite on my screws from the manufacturer! Had no idea it was that stuff. It's probably useless now that it's dry but do you think dry Loctite might help a little bit, is it bad to keep on or not a big deal?

Do you need to clean off the blue Loctite from inside the PCB threads whether you're using new Loctite or screwing it back dry normally?

Last edited:
I had just realized I already had blue loctite on my screws from the manufacturer! Had no idea it was that stuff. It's probably useless now that it's dry but do you think dry Loctite might help a little bit, is it bad to keep on or not a big deal?

Do you need to clean off the blue Loctite from inside the PCB threads whether you're using new Loctite or screwing it back dry normally?

Once you remove the screws, you will have to apply a new Loctite.

To clean the old, dried Loctite, you can use the Loctite cleaning solvent.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Once you remove the screws, you will have to apply a new Loctite.

To clean the old, dried Loctite, you can use the Loctite cleaning solvent.
Thanks, but do you NEED to clean the old Loctite if you aren't applying a new layer? Is dry Loctite more helpful than no Loctite?

Do you need to clean the PCB threads as well, and would applying new Loctite wear the threads more by removing them next time?

Thanks, but do you NEED to clean the old Loctite if you aren't applying a new layer? Is dry Loctite more helpful than no Loctite?

Personally I don't, but maybe most of people would do it :D

Do you need to clean the PCB threads as well, and would applying new Loctite wear the threads more by removing them next time?

I think that cleaning the dried Loctite out of the screws is enough, sometimes the screw holes are so small that you can't access it for cleaning.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Personally I don't, but maybe most of people would do it :D

I think that cleaning the dried Loctite out of the screws is enough, sometimes the screw holes are so small that you can't access it for cleaning.
Sounds good, but are there any repercussions or benefits to leaving the dried Loctite on? Does it increase wear of the threads/help stick even a little?