[SOLVED] Replacement laptop batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacentre

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2014
Sorry if this question has been asked before.

I need a new battery for an HP Elite x2 1012 G2. My gut tells me to order from an official HP service partner here (Singapore). Lead time is about 6 weeks. However, I see plenty of online suppliers advertising my battery for about half what official HP service partner charges and they offer free delivery.

Should I be suspicious of cheaper offerings from unofficial sources? Maybe it's the genuine article or maybe a knockoff. Or it could be genuine stock they've had in a warehouse for a long time. Maybe they all come from the same manufacturer in China anyway. Who knows?

The battery in this machine was replaced once by HP under warranty and it turned out to be 90 days when I first powered up. They told me this was quite normal and nothing to worry about. It could even be longer they said.

Would anyone care to advise or share any experience they've had with after-market batteries?
TIA

Trevor

Solution
The 3rd party batteries are very random as to what would work well. If you want a known good battery you would need the OEM one. If you need one now, and want to gamble to save money, get a copy. They tend to work OK but lose capacity much faster, and some of them fail in a few weeks or less.
The 3rd party batteries are very random as to what would work well. If you want a known good battery you would need the OEM one. If you need one now, and want to gamble to save money, get a copy. They tend to work OK but lose capacity much faster, and some of them fail in a few weeks or less.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.