Replacement mobo - nforce4 or xpress 1600/3200?

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Sending my 2 year old ASUS A8V back under RMA. This is still premature but I'd like to have some ideas in the event they offer a replacement board. It seems the current offerings for ASUS 939 boards are either nforce4 or xpress3200 and 1600 chipsets. The reviews I've read seem to concentrate on the dual video card capability but I have no intention of going there. My use is primarily business and engineering with some graphics occasionally thrown in (3D file viewing but not manipulation, some video encoding, and FlightSimX). I'd also like to try some mild overclocking.

My understanding from ASUS customer support is that if the board can't be repaired, they will call and offer a replacement. Just want to have an idea in case I'm given a choice. Any thoughts on which chipset will be more stable and offer the best features?

I fully understand that it could very well be like the rubber snake at the carnival thing - take what they give you or leave it on the table. In that case this conversation could be pointless :lol:

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Thanks.

Have to chuckle over the number of responses. I initially thought there were 2 separate posters but realize you're the only one. At least I don't need to spend too much time crunching numbers based on the vast numbers of opinions submitted. :roll:

I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thanks again.