[SOLVED] Replacement motherboard suggestions

talleymj

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
Hi everyone,

It's been a while. I was using the system below until it started having issues about a year ago, when it started having problems. After swapping out every other part with no improvement, I came to the conclusion that it was the motherboard. I didn't have the time or energy to deal with it, so it's just been sitting. Now I want to get it running to donate to someone who will mainly just use it for office tasks, huge spreadsheets, but no serious gaming. I'm looking for recommendations on a decent motherboard that will work with all of the existing components. I'm hoping to not spend more than one or two hundred dollars.

System specs:
Corsair Obsidian 650D
ASRock Z97 Extreme6 MoBo
G.Skill Trident DDR3-2400 8GB x 4
Intel Core i7-4790K Processor
Swiftech H240X Cooling
Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum PSU
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+
Lite-On iHBS212 12x Internal Blu-ray Disc Drive

Storage:
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM)
HGST Deskstar NAS 3.5-Inch 6TB 7200RPM SATA III 128MB Cache HDD (0S03839)
Seagate Barracuda 7200 5TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s HDD
Seagate Barracuda 7200 3TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s HDD

Last edited:
Solution
Hi everyone,

It's been a while. I was using the system below until it started having issues about a year ago, when it started having problems. After swapping out every other part with no improvement, I came to the conclusion that it was the motherboard. I didn't have the time or energy to deal with it, so it's just been sitting. Now I want to get it running to donate to someone who will mainly just use it for office tasks, huge spreadsheets, but no serious gaming. I'm looking for recommendations on a decent motherboard that will work with all of the existing components. I'm hoping to not spend more than one or two hundred dollars.

System specs:
Corsair Obsidian 650D
ASRock Z97 Extreme6 MoBo
G.Skill Trident...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi everyone,

System specs:
Corsair Obsidian 650D
ASRock Z97 Extreme6 MoBo
G.Skill Trident DDR3-2400 8GB x 4
Intel Core i7-4790K Processor
Swiftech H240X Cooling
Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum PSU
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+
Lite-On iHBS212 12x Internal Blu-ray Disc Drive

Storage:
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM)
HGST Deskstar NAS 3.5-Inch 6TB 7200RPM SATA III 128MB Cache HDD (0S03839)
Seagate Barracuda 7200 5TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s HDD
Seagate Barracuda 7200 3TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s HDD
There are Chinese new manufacture Z97 motherboards -- I wouldn't buy one. That leaves E-Bay. Since you are giving this PC away, a clean OS install should not be an issue.
The 90 series and 80 series motherboards can be compatible, but the 80 series have a higher risk of REQUIRING a BIOS update.
I would probably get an H97 motherboard for a non-gamer.

Solution