Question Replacement Power Supply for MSI Nightblade B85C ?

chanchari

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
Hello community,

Can anyone else recommend me a replacement PSU for installing in my precious old MSI Nightblade B85C ?
My existing PSU has a maximum power of 350W.
The goal is to upgrade the GPU to a GTX980-ti.

Thank you.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Not really sure whether it contains a normal ATX psu or an SFX psu, think ATX looking at it, with that said would an SFX psu with ATX bracket maybe a solution for such a case. Usually those are modular and are smaller. They likely will cost more though.

A vid about the case so maybe some help with changin the psu.

For options,

or other wattages from these.

For a cheaper ATX psu something like this one
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3F...onze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020122-na
but comes with all cables attached to the psu. Saw a remark in one review/overview where they said that using a modular ATX psu might give problems with connectors and available space. Kinda why i suggest the SFX psu with ATX bracket.

All said i don't know the system so what really works in the end is hard to say. Also keep this in mind,

max 290 mm ATX Graphics Capability

Guess you can get that 980 ti for little money, might be better options like a gtx 1070 which use less power and likely are abit smaler as well.

chanchari

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
Oh man thank you for the advise. I'll check that out. As you said, maybe I should be aiming to a lower graphics card... but my gtx 970 still works great, but I miss a bit more of power for current games on the market.
I'll have a look on gtx-1070.

thanks! I'll let you know what I did if useful for anyone else .

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Oh man thank you for the advise. I'll check that out. As you said, maybe I should be aiming to a lower graphics card... but my gtx 970 still works great, but I miss a bit more of power for current games on the market.
I'll have a look on gtx-1070.

thanks! I'll let you know what I did if useful for anyone else .

You dont need to change the power supply for upto ~180 watts GPU.

you can use RTX 2060 super in that system ,

How many pins does it use?? Because my PSU comes with a double 6-pin connector..

thanks
Hold up on that. Before recommending any GPU for use with your current power supply we need to know the PSU exact model number. Without knowing how many amps it can deliver on the +12 volt it's impossible to gauge its capabilities. Since MSI provides no information that I could find detailing the PSU specs we need to see a picture of the label on the PSU or at the very least what the amp rating is for +12 volt.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Hold up on that. Before recommending any GPU for use with your current power supply we need to know the PSU exact model number. Without knowing how many amps it can deliver on the +12 volt it's impossible to gauge its capabilities. Since MSI provides no information that I could find detailing the PSU specs we need to see a picture of the label on the PSU or at the very least what the amp rating is for +12 volt.

MSI uses good power supplies with their nightblade. This comes with TWO 6 pin connectors .. rings any bells ? thats alone 75+75=150 watts plus 75 watts from the motherboard for the GPU.

Low 12V 350 watts PSU dont include Two 6 pin connectors . it will handle RTX 2060.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
How many pins does it use?? Because my PSU comes with a double 6-pin connector..

thanks

it uses one 8 pin connector , but it is not a problem , you can use "dual 6 pin Female to 8 pin" adapter

This

https://www.amazon.com/Parkerguts-Premium-Sleeved-6-Pin-Female/dp/B01NAIZL52

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-6-Pin-Female-8-Pin-Cable/dp/B00M49SELW

dont worry it is the same wattage . 2x6 pins(75+75) = 1x8pin (150) wattage.

The motherboard supplies 75 watts to the slot above that as well.

your Nightblade is okay upto 180 watts GPU .. ( RTX 2060 , GTX 1080/1070 ti)

and dont upgrade the PSU , there is ZERO place for cables inside that case , it wont fit no matter how you try .. unless you cut the cables and mod them.

Reactions: chanchari

chanchari

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
Hey guys! Do you have anything in mind for a CPU cooler for this case and configuration? I think mine is not good enough since I replace my old i5-4460 for a i7-4790K

Bear in mind the layout of my case, because the fan position facing one of the side panels.
thank you

chanchari

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
I think I rather go for a Air Cooler. My current CPU cooler dimension are 10mm diametre and 8,5mm height, but there is enough space for a bigger (or taller) cooler.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I think I rather go for a Air Cooler. My current CPU cooler dimension are 10mm diametre and 8,5mm height, but there is enough space for a bigger (or taller) cooler.

Your Case can take good coolers upto 145 height .

But I would prefer AIO cooler for the compact size

here is how it looks like

nightblade-07b.png