Question Replacement Power Supply for MSI Nightblade B85C ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chanchari

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
Hello community,

Can anyone else recommend me a replacement PSU for installing in my precious old MSI Nightblade B85C ?
My existing PSU has a maximum power of 350W.
The goal is to upgrade the GPU to a GTX980-ti.

Thank you.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Hello ,

There are Things to consider ,

1- The side 120 fan above the motherboard is 25mm , so you cant put a cooler taller than 120mm and still use the fan above it. in case you want taller cooler , you should remove the top fan which is not recommended because that side fan takes the hot air from the GPU and CPU out of the case .. it is needed. the rear 92mm fan is too small for the task.

2- you can only put taller than 120mm cooler if it is horizontal type and not vertical type , in this case removing the 120 fans will be okay , it will be replaced by the horizontal cooler fan , and it should be very near the door.

3- Get at least air cooler with 4 heat pipes .. actually 5,6 is better aim..

4- I still think using Water cooling is the best for you because of the Tight space , and the 120 side fan being very important to push hot air out of the case ... less than 120 coolers are not very effective nor Price/performance good ...

I will start looking now (was busy before) , Please give me your final budget for this in Euros ...

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Hello again ,

This cooler from Noctua is good has 4 heat pipes and is 110mm tall

NH-D9L

This is the best cooler under 50 euros that can fit in your case with the side fan and still give good performance.

but as you see it is 50 euros .. 10 euros less than AIO water cooler ..

All other good Air coolers that fits in your case are 70 euros and more.

tell me what you think so I know what to look at

chanchari

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
Hello ,

There are Things to consider ,

1- The side 120 fan above the motherboard is 25mm ....

Do you mean the red back fan in the case? I'm not an expert on this as you can see...haha
So, if I understood conrrectly: I can't put a vertical CPU fan taller than 120mm, can I?
What do you think is better vertical or horizontal CPU fan? The one I have is the stock CPU fan from MSI which is very similar to stock intel fans, and it is horizontal position (to the moherboard). I guess it has something to be with drilled side panel..

My budget is up to 50€ but the less money I use the better :D

thank you!

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Do you mean the red back fan in the case? I'm not an expert on this as you can see...haha
So, if I understood conrrectly: I can't put a vertical CPU fan taller than 120mm, can I?
What do you think is better vertical or horizontal CPU fan? The one I have is the stock CPU fan from MSI which is very similar to stock intel fans, and it is horizontal position (to the moherboard). I guess it has something to be with drilled side panel..

My budget is up to 50€ but the less money I use the better :D

thank you!

There are two fans in your case , one red back 92 and one on the door 120 .. right ?

chanchari

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
ohh know I see why you thought there was a 120mm side fan... because the nightblade Z97 has one... look this webside at the end of the page you can see the differences.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
ohh know I see why you thought there was a 120mm side fan... because the nightblade Z97 has one... look this webside at the end of the page you can see the differences.

Yes I noticed now . but this fan bracket fits in your case by the way .. I will see if i can find it alone . but anyways without the fan you can use taller cooler like upto 145 max

you cant add watercooling without this bracket.

I will see what is the best for you. I will try to find that plastic for the fan for like 5 euros or so first.

Side_Panel_Removed-700W.jpg

ACC_5847_DxO.jpg

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I could not find the top cover .. it is old model , but you can still put the 120 fan directly on the door and use 2 sided tape stickers to fix the fan on the door . use good ones from 3M .

Now for the cooler , I looked hard and this cooler from Noctua is the best for your case , has 5 heatpipes and is 125mm height.

1- Noctua NH U9S

dont get lower cheaper one , you dont have enough airflow in the case to use with cheap coolers it will heat up alot inside.

2- The water cooler is only 60 euros and much better for your smalle case. but you will need the plastic 120 fan cover . OR drill holes on the door itself and mount the rad on it.

tell me what you think

Last edited:
Reactions: chanchari

chanchari

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
So, do you guys think horizontal cooler is better? Because most of the fan I see in the internet are vertical. I'd love to have best one that fits my case, but I don't want spend to much money on this since I will have a baby soon and my gaming time will drop significantly hahaha but also I don't want the CPU to get hot as crazy when I play cause I've notice a few FPS drops while gaming until it stabilizes.. I bet you it has something to be with the temperature.

As stated before, do you think that the first cooler sent by Vic 40 will be enough? If not, don't be shy and let me know ahaha then I will do an effort and buy a better one :)

Thank you guys for your time and patience.

chanchari

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
Taking into account your considerations, what air cooler will suit these specs:
  • 4 or more heatpipes
  • TDP > 100W or more
  • 4 pin compatible
  • maximun height of 145mm
  • Desirably below 50€
  • the less power consumption the better (1-2W)
Thanks

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Cryorig M9 plus is 3 heat pipe cooler and low grade . dont get it.

Noctua fans alone are worth 15 euros each . other brands use cheap 5 euros fans.

Noctua also offers 6 years warranty on fans and cooler. this 12 euros more is nothing really .. Noctua gives you better fans an 2 more heatpipes and better cooling...

GET HIS

Dont get this

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Cryorig makes good coolers, since when are those low grade?

The model in discussion is low grade , not all Cryorigs coolers. 3 heat pipes cooler are lower grades than 5 heat pipes Noctua coolers , this is no brainer. and 12 euros difference is not worth that downgrade at all . the Quality of Noctua fans alone covers that difference , plus the better cooling capacity over it.

Last edited:

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
He can get the Cryorig for €20 less, that is quite the amount and it will still cool that 4790K fine with the capability of cooling 130watt TDP.

It's up to him, think he just should read some reviews for his own peace of mind.

it is not 20 euros less. that price you put is without shipping costs .

look at it again the total with shipping cost is 42.6 euros .

Amazon links I put has free shipping.

I know what I am talking about

it is 12 euros less only, and not worth it compared to the Noctua cooler I put. by the way , that Noctua cooler is not only 5 heat pipes , it has more fins double the fins , it is very special small cooler.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Don't know what the shipping is there.

The link you put from Pc part picker already shows the shipping costs and the total cost.

how do you say you dont know the shipping ?

here is your quote

This should work if the 145mm tall is what the case really can take (it's 125mm tall),
https://es.pcpartpicker.com/product/TnJtt6/cryorig-m9-plus-484-cfm-cpu-cooler-m9-plus
not really for heavy overclocking but should do fine with the stock 4790K.

base 33.99 euros , shipping 8.65 euros , total 42.6

Amazon price for the nuctua NH-U9S is 54.90 euros with FREE SHIPPING

So it is just 12 euros more ..