Question Replacement Power Supply for MSI Nightblade B85C ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chanchari

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
Hello community,

Can anyone else recommend me a replacement PSU for installing in my precious old MSI Nightblade B85C ?
My existing PSU has a maximum power of 350W.
The goal is to upgrade the GPU to a GTX980-ti.

Thank you.

chanchari

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
Hello guys! I think both options were great so I'm very thankful! I finally bought the Noctua from a second hand user, based also in some reviews and opnions in the internet that I saw. It cost me 30€ and only has a year of use, so it's almost new...
I installed the GTX 1070, and it works perfect with my PSU, no problem seen so far. Well, I realized that the two GPU fans didn't start running until I set them up them with Argus monitor. It seems like the Bios set up for these two fans is not working properly. Do you know why is this happening? Do you know a good fan configuration curve for this GPU?
I will let you know how much better does my CPU when the cooler arrives and is already installed.

thanks!

chanchari

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
Try this tool.

don't run both together.
I did it, and now what? everything looks the same, and once I stoped running argus monitor all fans speeded up almost 100% of their maximun power...
GPU stays in a 78ºC average. CPU fan and system fan speeded up too. No errors were found (luckily). So, looks like Argus monitor is measuring correctly, as every temp looks the same.
Now sounds like plane taking off...

PS: I just had google chrome opened and PUBG (but not playing). Once I closed the game, all fans went down a lot and GPU temp went down upto 57ºC. Same for CPU temp went down significantly.

chanchari

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
My GPU stays at 62ºC on idle... I read on internet that is too much... What could be causing this?
BTW I recieved Notua Cooler, it fits on the case but I guess is gonna be a bit difficult to install, dut to lack of space... haha

chanchari

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
Does the GPU use paste like a CPU and cooler? ... but I don't think so, cause my other grapichs card did the same thing... (I replaced 970 for 1070 as u know)
BTW I installed the Noctua is great the fan! thank you for your advice.

chanchari

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
Hi all! I change the paste of the GPU and now is 57ºC on idle instead of 62ºC. I also clean the dust and everything... I think is still too high. I believe it could be the fans of the GPU... I guess they are not working properly, is there anything I can do? Can I replace the fans? or has to be someting with software?

thanks for your advice.

chanchari

Prominent
Nov 26, 2020
Hi @Vic 40 and @nofanneeded it's been a year since I ask you for help, and I would like to thank you all your recommendations again since I didn't have any problems with my PC so far. It is stable, fan are running flawless, CPU and GPU temp seem to be normal and te overal performance is more than good :D
Looks like my old 2015 PC wants to kick around for a while longer, which is great!

best