Question Replacement power supply for TE01-0014 to add a GPU?

rjo98

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I'm looking at the TE01-0014 from HP, but it says it only has a "180 W Gold efficiency power supply".

I have an old GTX 260 and a Radeon 5770, would that power supply even be enough to handle adding one of those in?

Or would I be looking at getting a new PSU and a new GPU both? If so, any recommendations that would actually work in this HP?

rjo98

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I should probably add, that the most intensive thing this PC would ever do is play the Sim 4, or 5 if that comes out, if that info helps. everything else would be Word or web browsing.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
GT1030 is much faster than the onboard graphics yes, and faster than the cards you listed. It is a nice companion card for a late model system. It will hardware accelerate your web browsing and video playback as well. Sims 4 will be no problem.

Reactions: rjo98

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
RX Vega 11 means the CPU is an APU with built in graphics from AMD. Would make it an Ryzen 2400G or 3400G (G stands for Graphics) Still shared memory and all that.

A pretty potent little chip, and not a bad choice at all for your use case.

Depends on what you were paying for each system which is better.

rjo98

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
@Eximo Here's the links to the two I keep looking at, the hard drive size difference between the two doesn't really impact me fwiw

$550 for this one
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-des...state-drive-jet-black/6366135.p?skuId=6366135

$600 for this one (the one you already commented on originally)
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-env...drive-nightfall-black/6366130.p?skuId=6366130

or, an even cheaper one but has a real gpu, but older proc, but sold out :(
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...lid-state-drive-black/6371594.p?skuId=6371594

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The AMD system is certainly better out of the box for any gaming, and you would be looking at additional cost to get the GT1030 so more than a $100 difference. The Intel CPU is going to be faster under most conditions, but the onboard Intel graphics are very little compared to the Vega 11.

You can add storage later with minimal effort and low cost, so I agree, not much of a concern.

I would say cost/performance, about equal. $685 vs $550 About 25% cost difference and about 25% performance difference.

The nice thing about the AMD system is that you can still add a GPU later as well. Whereas with the Intel system plus a GT1030 you would have to replace the GT1030 when it becomes obsolete.

rjo98

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
The AMD system is certainly better out of the box for any gaming, and you would be looking at additional cost to get the GT1030 so more than a $100 difference. The Intel CPU is going to be faster under most conditions, but the onboard Intel graphics are very little compared to the Vega 11.

You can add storage later with minimal effort and low cost, so I agree, not much of a concern.

I would say cost/performance, about equal. $685 vs $550 About 25% cost difference and about 25% performance difference.

The nice thing about the AMD system is that you can still add a GPU later as well. Whereas with the Intel system plus a GT1030 you would have to replace the GT1030 when it becomes obsolete.
@Eximo Looking at that video @Archaic59 posted I can't really tell a huge difference between the two, and it seemed to be running the games ok as far as I could tell, what did you think?
Maybe the AMD Ryzen 5 system is the way to go then if i'm following along correctly. It's cheaper out of the box, plus it saves me from having to spend another $80-100 on the GT1030, that sounds good for my wallet. But how would that Vega 11 graphics compare to the old GTX 260 and a Radeon 5770 that we're used to playing Sims 4 on?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Vega 11 is actually faster then those older cards, and certainly more up to date on other technologies. Also way more power efficient.

The problem with watching recorded gameplay is that you aren't seeing the actual frame rate, the video itself will be at some playback frame rate, it will have been compressed when created, and likely compressed again by Youtube. This will effectively smooth out defects. In this case you can only look at the numbers generated by FRAPS as a comparison point. Which shows accruately the GT1030 being faster than the Vega 11 graphics. Now I didn't look into what the system memory speed was, etc, but it is more or less always going to be true. Dedicated graphics memory makes a big difference in overall performance.

The AMD system is the better choice simply because of its versatility. The APU can be replaced with a CPU with up 6, 8, 12, or 16 cores, you can install a faster graphics card if that becomes necessary. Intel system is similar, though in terms of CPU you would have to stop at 8 cores. The point here is you would be immediately investing in a GPU on top of a more expensive, if faster, system.

rjo98

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Thanks. Good points on the video there. I'm going to pick up the AMD system today, gets me off the ground running faster, with room to improve later. I greatly appreciate all the help and answers.