Question Replacement PSU for HP EliteDesk 800 G3

MikeA01730

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
Hi,

I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G3 tower model Y1B39AV I bought in 2017. It turns out the PSU appears to be failing (see "Graphics Card Causing Black Screen Problem?" in Graphics Cards forum) and I need to replace it. I would have liked to increase the PSU power to install a more powerful graphics card. This tower could be ordered with either a 250W and 500W PSU, but each had it's own chassis, so it looks like all I can do is replace the 250W PSU.

However even replacing the 250W PSU is confusing. When I search for recommended replacement PSUs (250W only) for my tower I get part numbers 901760-004 or 901761-002. If I look at the installed PSU I see 901761-002, but when I search for that I see that all the web sites say it's for an HP 600 G3. So it's not clear what's going on or what to buy.

When I try to find a place to buy a PSU I see sites that are in China (which worries me), or sell refurbished or used and tested PSUs, or have terrible reviews, or just look sketchy. It's not clear where to buy. But I was surprised to find a 901761-002 at Walmart of all places. It lists it as compatible with 12 other part numbers including 901760-001, 901760-004, 922456-001, 913292-001, 901761-002, 913291-001, 901760-002.

I'm thinking I'll buy the one from Walmart but I don't know much about PSUs and I'm confused. I don't understand if all these part numbers make a difference or not, or exactly how to make this decision. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Thanks,
Mike

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If it is imperative that you repair this specific rig, it is likely a good idea to get the same exact model of PSU. The model number should be able to be found among the info on HP site which should require some info off your specific machine. Once you find that model number (which it appears you have) then, hopefully, the seller site will have some pics from which you can verify the connectors. Looking the model up indicates a small form desktop chassis. Not a whole lot TO do with one of those.

Dell and HP (in particular) are REALLY bad about proprietary connectors and little things that keep their systems from being repaired or mixed with standard equipment/connectors. Often trying to upgrade or update these results in various adapters and other hacks to make things work. I won't say "correctly".

It appears this would be a 10th gen i5 configuration running off integrated graphics with no room for a GPU and possible BIOS issues involved with updating the CPU. I would recommend cheapest direct replacement part, if you can find it, or upgrade to non-proprietary system.

Reactions: MikeA01730

MikeA01730

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
Hi punkncat,

Thanks for the help. I'll get a PSU with a model number matching the current one, verify as best i can that the plugs match, and also just to be sure try to verify the dimensions. Also I expect my next machine will be a custom build.

Mike