Replacement Sound Card

chrislewsey

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
Hi All

After a bit of advice..
At present I have a Creative XFi Gamer fatality sound card with front panel, which to be fair is working but as Im running it on Windows 7 I feel that the sound quality isnt as good asit used to be on XP. Now the queation I have is it worth changing it for an Asus Xonar as I have read some good reviews about these cards. I mainly use the PC for gaming and music and was wondering if I would see any improvment in sound quality from the Xonar. If any one has changed from creative to Asus it would be nice to hear your thoughts

Many thanks..

Between my ExtremeGamer and ASUS Xonar D2, I preferred the D2. That being said, I wouldn't recommend one due to price reasons...

Right now, the best upgrade is probably to the ASUS Xonar DX, though there are higher tier options avaliable if you want to spend a bit more.

chrislewsey

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008

Thanks for the reply I was thinking of getting the Xonar D2 Ultra Fidelity for my PC and then selling my creative card on ebay do you think i will notice a better sound as at present cant say Im particully happy with the present one,that being sais Ive got nothing to compare it too

Hi :)

The operating system should have absolutely NO effect whatsoever on sound quality...only the card and its drivers can do that... you DID get Windows 7 drivers for it from Creative ?

All the best Brett :)

chrislewsey

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
Hi

Yes tried creatives drivers and also let win7 install its drivers but again the sound quality seems to tail off over a period of time and to get the sound quality back I need to install the drivers again. I read a few forums about creative and windows after XP where they dont seem to get the best out of the cards.

Regards :D

chrislewsey

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
Just done a bit of research on the new Creative Recon 3D sound card which is just come out sounds very good might go down this option as looks like it might be a good gaming card

Thanks for the replys

:sol:

Chris

^^ I disagree; the Recon3D series is horrible spec wise.

c110256d_25.jpeg

douglasw

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

I also have a X-Fi sound card and i thought i needed to upgrade till i got off analouge and went to using a single coaxial cable them i went on line and bought the Dolby Digital Live DTS Pack that adds more settings to your control manager man what a change in sound quality...now i get true 5.1 surround sound action the travels right around...Now im thinking to upgrade to the recon 3D but iv been reading theres really not that much of a difference if any...