Replacement Video card for a Dell XPS 8300

3dwhispers

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I have a Dell XPS 8300 desktop which is a couple of years. I use it mostly for the web which includes Youtube videos and movies that I stream from Amazon. I don't use it for games or any other hardcore graphics.

The machine runs fairly well, except that the fan in the video card tends to run fairly load, and at times when I am watching a movie, it gets extremely loud, very high pitched.

I would like to replace the video card, and the purpose of my post here is to request suggestions. I would like to replace it with something comparable. However the only information I can seem to gather on my current card is that it is an AMD Radeon HD 6770. The power supply is 460 watts.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions as a replacement.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
You are welcome for the help, that's what the forums are here for :)

The A06 bios most likely will not solve the issue as many of the reported problems came about after 2011(when that bios was released).

Your safest bet in my opinion would be to go with the AMD GPU I suggested. This entire issue of newer NVidia GPUs with the 8300(only) makes me think Dell wants only AMD GPUs in there ( it came with one and maybe they had a "deal" with AMD ;) )

3dwhispers

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Thank you very much for this suggestion. I have read a couple of other threads here that sound like horror stories trying change the video card in a Dell 8300. Would you happen to know if there would be any incompatibility issues with the GTX 650?

Dom_79

Distinguished
Way to do your research! I'm sorry I never thought there would be such an issue upgrading a gaming PC! From what I've seen reading similar threads and the links some have provided to the dell support forum, I honestly cannot say if it would work. The issue seems to be the Motherboard bios for the 8300.

If the stock PSU comes with a 6 pin PCIE power connector then this AMD card will be slightly better then what you have now but also require slightly more power (although your stock should still work) http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121727

3dwhispers

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I really do appreciate your help! I'll need to take a closer look inside to see what kind of cables are available. Ironically after I saw your first post I did some more general searching and found one guy who used the GTX 650 and said it came right up no problem, so they mystery deepens lol

Dom_79

Distinguished
Yes many of the posts I was reading seemed to be from the first half of 2012. Dell may have resolved the problem with a motherboard bios update (the only solution to the problem). If you can find out which motherboard you have you can check the Dell site and find out if there any mobo bios updates and what issues they address. Or you can just go to the site and use your service tag number and the site will tell you exactly what is available.

3dwhispers

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I did check that. My current bios is A03 which has a date of 6/2011 and the current bios is A06 which has a date of 11/2011 I didn't check to see which issues it was addressing, but I will go back and check that. They don't seem to be very forthcoming about the details of their hardware, or maybe I'm just looking in the correct place. I did the routine where I provide my product code and it does a scan, but still they don't seem to provide a lot of detail.

Again I very much appreciate you taking the time to help me. Thank you!

Dom_79

Distinguished
You are welcome for the help, that's what the forums are here for :)

The A06 bios most likely will not solve the issue as many of the reported problems came about after 2011(when that bios was released).

Your safest bet in my opinion would be to go with the AMD GPU I suggested. This entire issue of newer NVidia GPUs with the 8300(only) makes me think Dell wants only AMD GPUs in there ( it came with one and maybe they had a "deal" with AMD ;) )

Solution

whatnot86

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014
Have you had any success in finding a new GPU for your 8300? I thought the same thing with regards to some sort of agreement with AMD since they security locked a lot of nVidia chipsets in their Bios.

ArponFlux

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015

I don't think the AMD thing was the case since i recently purchased an r9 380 for my xps 8300 and it didn't worked :kaola:. I'm still looking for a solution without having to purchase a new motherboard for my i7 2600 which I'm very satisfied with but is not unlocked and that socket doesn't allow for a significant CPU upgrade, for those reasons Im trying not to get a new mobo. anyone has any suggestions?
Ive looked up some articles about flashing a dell mobo with a hacked bios to access all settings anyone tried it? it just doesn't seem very safe

Dom_79

Distinguished

Couple of things ApronFlux;

1. This thread is over a year old and solved.

2.Your brand new GPU not working on your old motherboard is most likely an issue that would need to be fixed (if possible) by a BIOS update which is unlikely to come from Dell.

3. If you want help with your issue (trying to install an r9 380 in a Dell XPS 8300) you should start your own thread and not hijack this solved one by necro'ing it.

Bast_1

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
I just got a new gigabyte R9 380. First, the power supply wasn't enough, needs at least 500 watts and the power pin settings weren't compatible. My fault should have checked. Went to best buy got a 520 watt. Pluged everything in. It did not post. Removed the card, put the old Radeon 6670 that came with it back in, worked fine.
I can tell you that a Nvidia 750Ti will work. Put one in my wife's XPS 8300 , and it works great.
Beyond that it looks like its time to get a a whole new setup if you want to play any of the newer games at good quality.
It's just sad to leave behind the chipset which is still very good. I don't like Dell because of this reason, and i had problems in the past trying to upgrade them. But i can't complain got it as a gift.