[SOLVED] Replacement Wireless Mouse Doesn't Work

Oct 25, 2019
I purchased a used Microsoft 5000 wireless mouse because the old one doesn't reliably click. I purchased just the mouse, not the transceiver that plugs into a USB port on the computer, since I already have one. The replacement does not work, its existance is not recognized as a device by Windows.

Is this because each iteration of the MS 5000 must have its own transceiver even though the Model is still called 5000, or is it a defect in the new (used) mouse?

Solution
Yes, each wireless mouse & it's USB dongle are a matched pair in repect of RF frequency. This even applies to identical mouse models, the USB dongles are not interchangeable.

This is to avoid RF cross-interference in the event that two people in the same room are both using a wireless mouse.

The RF frequency of your old dongle does not match that of your new mouse.

You will have to buy another complete wireless mouse & dongle set.
Yes, each wireless mouse & it's USB dongle are a matched pair in repect of RF frequency. This even applies to identical mouse models, the USB dongles are not interchangeable.

This is to avoid RF cross-interference in the event that two people in the same room are both using a wireless mouse.

The RF frequency of your old dongle does not match that of your new mouse.

You will have to buy another complete wireless mouse & dongle set.

Solution