[SOLVED] Replacement

Mar 17, 2021
I need to replace a desktop fan so any assistance as to which one to order would be most appreciated. And also, a DVD player. The System is: Lenovo ThinkCentre M91 Desktop PC - Intel Core i5-2400 3.10GHz, 4GB DDR3 Memory, 750GB HDD, DVDRW, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (Off-Lease) - RB-825633304284 bought at the now defunct TigerDirect.com

Solution
If it's a sensor related issue, then it's likely not correctable and a new motherboard or entire platform would be pretty much necessary.

Take a tape measure and measure the dimensions of the fan frame. There is really no way to know what size fan that is simply by the model because, while I haven't looked in depth, a quick search of the Lenovo site specs says nothing at all about it.

Also, keep in mind that MANY prebuilt systems from companies like Dell, HP, Lenovo and others use completely PROPRIETARY fan and cooler designs. Some with totally different pin counts than industry standard 3 pin voltage controlled and 4 pin PWM controlled aftermarket fans, and some with 5 pins, and others with simply different pinouts that won't allow...
Ok. So, did you VISUALLY verify that the fan was not operating or did you assume the message was correct? Because more than a few times we've seen similar issues that were actually due to sensor failures on the board rather than the fan itself.

Do you know what size fan it is?

Mar 17, 2021
Ok. So, did you VISUALLY verify that the fan was not operating or did you assume the message was correct? Because more than a few times we've seen similar issues that were actually due to sensor failures on the board rather than the fan itself.

Do you know what size fan it is?

Thank you for your reply. No, I did not visually verify that the fan was not working and have been using the computer for short periods without issues; so it's possible the error was incorrect. But would it hurt to have a fan ready to install? I'm not that tech savvy so do not know the fan size, just the computer specs as noted in my first post. Now, if it's the sensor, what does that entail? Again, thanks for your time!

If it's a sensor related issue, then it's likely not correctable and a new motherboard or entire platform would be pretty much necessary.

Take a tape measure and measure the dimensions of the fan frame. There is really no way to know what size fan that is simply by the model because, while I haven't looked in depth, a quick search of the Lenovo site specs says nothing at all about it.

Also, keep in mind that MANY prebuilt systems from companies like Dell, HP, Lenovo and others use completely PROPRIETARY fan and cooler designs. Some with totally different pin counts than industry standard 3 pin voltage controlled and 4 pin PWM controlled aftermarket fans, and some with 5 pins, and others with simply different pinouts that won't allow those fans to be used on other motherboards or other fans to be used on those motherboards.

The member here who might best be able to offer help in regard to the fan is @Paperdoc .

Solution
Mar 17, 2021
THANK YOU for your very through reply. At this point, it's probably best for me to just keep affirming that the computer will work as long as possible and deal with issues when it does not. I really do appreciate your time and expertise!
Happy Holidays!