[SOLVED] Replacing 250 GB Samsung 860 SATA SSD with 1 TB 860 QVO

RhythmCaster

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015
TLDR: Replacing 250 GB Samsung 860 EVO with 1 TB 860 QVO aprox 156.28 USD converted (both are SATA) is a good idea?

Hi, I'm using Dell Inspiron 3467 i3 6006u which was replaced the stock mech HDD with the siad 250 GB Samsung EVO. However, I'm planning to using DAW, VST and recording an e-drum, thus need more space with good write speed.

Thank you.

PS. The 860 EVO will be installed in my office PC later on.
PSS. Prefer Samsung because other recommended brands are difficult to find or too expensive in my country.

Solution
No, the 860 EVO is not obsolete because it is already at the maximum speed of the SATA bus, so any newer SATA SSD that comes along is not going to really offer anything better except possibly in the area of random performance but even then it's unlikely that we'll see anything spectacular happen there. We haven't since three years or so of an already maxed out SATA bus, so it's unlikely. I think the 860 EVO, or even the 850 EVO, are fine choices for a SATA SSD.

Other SSD models I believe to be very good include the Crucial MX series, The SanDisk Ultra II and Ultra 3D and the Western digital Blue SSD.
The only real issue I see with that drive is the fact that it uses QLC NAND, which does not have nearly as good of endurance and longevity as TLC. So if this is a drive you will be writing large amounts of data to, frequently, or rewriting a lot of data on a daily basis that is beyond typical consumer workloads, then it might not be the right choice for you. Personally, I don't think I'd be willing to use a QLC drive in my own system because it simply wouldn't be likely to last as long as I'd expect an SSD to last. I'd rather pay a little more. That being said, if you don't have any issues with replacing this drive in a couple of years, then it's probably fine. I'd like to see at least five years out of any SSD I put in one of my machines. At least. And it may last that long, but it's definitely not going to last as long as a TLC drive would.

Reactions: RhythmCaster

RhythmCaster

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015
Thanks for your reply. I'm completely forgot to consider the NAND. You're correct, with such tasks, the endurance and the longevity of the drive are important. What's your opinion, if I choose 860 EVO SATA 1 TB. Is it an obsoleted product? TBH, this is a long term investment and I'm not plan to replace the drive in couple of years.

Thank again.

PS. Any other brands/models suggestion would be appreciated.

No, the 860 EVO is not obsolete because it is already at the maximum speed of the SATA bus, so any newer SATA SSD that comes along is not going to really offer anything better except possibly in the area of random performance but even then it's unlikely that we'll see anything spectacular happen there. We haven't since three years or so of an already maxed out SATA bus, so it's unlikely. I think the 860 EVO, or even the 850 EVO, are fine choices for a SATA SSD.

Other SSD models I believe to be very good include the Crucial MX series, The SanDisk Ultra II and Ultra 3D and the Western digital Blue SSD.

Solution