replacing 2TB SSD drive to 4TB SSD in secondary drive

feihung

Reputable
Oct 16, 2016
I have a Toshiba Qosmio X505 Q898 laptop. I have a 2 tb samsung ssd in the primary drive and a 2tb samsung ssd in the secondary. No problems. Samsung now came out with a 4tb ssd. I bought it and put it in the secondary. After a few adjustments the laptop recognizes it and the cloning went fine. The files opened and was readable. Then while I was transferring files over to the 4 Tb a warning came out that the drive was corrupted and unreadable. It required another format but then I would lose all my info. I formatted it and then tried again. Same result. I exchanged the drive for another drive. Another suggestions as to why this is happening?

Solution
It might be an issue with MBR vs. GPT partitioning.

A 2TB drive is typically formatted in MBR (master boot recort), but for drives larger than 2TB they need to be formatted in GPT (guid partition table). If you are directly cloning a 2TB drive to a 4TB drive you'll need to make sure that the process is making allowances for moving from mbr to gpt, as otherwise you might get some errors.

The first thing I'd make sure to check is if your new 4TB SSD is being formatted correctly.

Luminary

Admirable
It might be an issue with MBR vs. GPT partitioning.

A 2TB drive is typically formatted in MBR (master boot recort), but for drives larger than 2TB they need to be formatted in GPT (guid partition table). If you are directly cloning a 2TB drive to a 4TB drive you'll need to make sure that the process is making allowances for moving from mbr to gpt, as otherwise you might get some errors.

The first thing I'd make sure to check is if your new 4TB SSD is being formatted correctly.

Solution

feihung

Reputable
Oct 16, 2016
Done. But it still didnt work. I had the 4tb ssd formatted as GPT and partitioned into 2 partitions in a computer that used windows 10. I then transferred 1 tb worth of data onto the drive. then moved the drive to the laptop with windows 7. It showed as unallocated. It didnt even show the 4 tb. Only 2. Help

Understand that if you clone the data contents from a disk that has been MBR-partitioned to a 4 TB disk that has been formatted GPT-partitioned that destination disk will be similarly partitioned with the MBR partitioning scheme regardless of the fact that it had been GPT-partitioned prior to the disk-cloning operation. So that the system will recognize only 2 TB of the 4 TB drive. The remaining disk-space will be unallocated and unusable.

You can subsequently use a partition management program to convert the disk from MBR to GPT (hopefully) without the loss of data as long as no OS has been installed on the drive.

feihung

Reputable
Oct 16, 2016

I did not clone the drive after all. I just cut and pasted the files.still same problem. I took the drive and connected it to a computer with windows 10. I formated the drive as gpt and partitioned it. I then cut and pasted 1 tb worth of files. I then installed the drive to the secondary drive in my laptop. It read as 2tb and unallocated. No 1 tb of files. Help

Your sequence of events is a bit puzzling.

You say you installed the new 4 TB SSD as a secondary drive in your Toshiba laptop, presumably replacing the 2 TB SSD currently installed secondary drive. (I assume your laptop can accommodate only two drives).

Then you indicate "after a few adjustments" (whatever that means!) the system recognized it. And you add that the "cloning went fine". I assumed data was cloned from the 2 TB SSD to the 4 TB SSD. Perhaps you could clarify this.

Then events get murky (at least to me)...

You then reference "transferring files" over to the 4 TB SSD and system warnings of "corrupted and unreadable" data.

Then you indicate that the 4 TB SSD was installed in another PC with a different OS.

I believe it would help if you would start over (so to speak) and provide clear & detailed information as to your precise objective(s) and a step-by-step reasonably detailed summary of precisely how you undertook the process that you've outlined.

feihung

Reputable
Oct 16, 2016
Sorry about that. Ok. here goes. I have a Toshiba Qosmio that has windows 7 64 but and bios. It does have two ports for hard drives, yes you understand correctly. In the primary drive i put a Samsung 2 tb ssd. That primary drive is also the bootable drive. I put another 2 tb samsung ssd drive in the secondary drive that only have data. I bought the 4 tb samsung ssd drive. My friend formatted that drive and then cloned that drive with my previous 2 tb ssd secondary drive. So basically I left the primary 2tb drive still in the laptop. I only took out the secondary to replace it with the 4 tb. He did this somehow and was able to clone the 2 tb onto the 4 tb which leaves me with about 2 tb of space left. I then took that laptop home and started to trasnfer more files onto the 4 tb since it had space on it. I transferred a few files and it was alright. I then transferred more and walked away since it stated it would take a few hours to complete. When I returned to check on the status, I saw an error message with it stating that it was corrupted and or unreadable. I then turned it off and restarted it. It then said the drive had to be formatted. I then reformatted it and erased the cloned data. After that I noticed the computer did not recognize it as a 4 tb but rather 2 tb and unallocated.

So after some research and suggestions, I tried to get the 4tb ssd partitioned to 2tb and 2 tb and also formatted as GPT. I did this on a desktop that had windows 10 on it. After it was formatted I trasnferred 1 tb worth of files to it and when done I placed it in my laptop. The laptop still saw it as unallocated 2 tb. It didnt even see the 1 tb worth of files already transferred.

I want to use the 4tb ssd drive for my laptop on my secondary drive. I was going to transferre all my files to the 4tb and fill it up so I don't have to delete or add to it. Just read it for the data.

That's where we are at now.

OK, things are considerably clearer now.

1. Assuming your Toshiba laptop's 2 TB SSD boot drive (don't call it a "primary drive" - refer to it as your *boot* drive - the partitions you set up on a HDD or SSD are all (or nearly all) "primary") was MBR-partitioned (as appears the case), when the contents of the boot drive were cloned to the 4 TB SSD (which had replaced the current secondary SSD) the resultant partitioning scheme on that 4 TB SSD was also MBR, REGARDLESS OF THE FACT THAT IT HAD BEEN FORMATTED GPT PRIOR TO THE DISK-CLONING OPERATION. THE CLONING WOULD OVERRIDE THE ORIGINAL FORMATTING.

2. Since only 2 TB of that MBR-partitioned 4 TB disk could be recognized by the system the resulting 2 TB of disk-space would be unallocated & unusable while the disk was MBR-partitioned.

3. Now you transferred (copied or moved) some additional files onto the 4 TB drive and apparently something went awry with that operation. It's impossible to tell what from this distance.

4. In any event you now recognized the 4 TB SSD was MBR-partitioned since only 2 TB would be detected by the system in terms of usability.

5. Now it is possible that the 4 TB SSD can be converted from MBR to GPT so you can utilize its full disk-space. Unfortunately you cannot achieve this using Disk Management without the loss of data. But you can use a third-party partition management program, e.g., AOMEI, Easeus, Mini-Tool, Partition Manager to carry out this operation without the loss of data. I believe their free or trial versions have this capability. I know their commercial versions do. The conversion process USUALLY works without a problem when the disk contains non-OS files. If the disk contains an OS (even if it not the current boot drive) the program may balk at carrying out the conversion process. So keep that in mind. And it's a good idea to copy or clone the data on the drive before undertaking this conversion process (unless, of course the data exists on other drives).

feihung

Reputable
Oct 16, 2016

I dont need to clone it. I can just cut and paste the files. But even when i formated it and partitioned it and also cut and pasted the files, windows would not recognize the cut and pasted files or the 4 tb. It showed asbonly unallocated 2 tb. How do we get the 4 tb to be recognized by windows?

feihung

Reputable
Oct 16, 2016
ok, so i got the ssd to be recognized as 4 tb. now when i try to use the drive and fill it up, i get error messages stating unreadable or corrupted. WHat now?

It's really impossible for me to respond intelligently to your latest query from this distance. All I can tell you is this
1. To utilize the full disk-space capacity of the 4 TB to store data it must be partitioned with the GPT-partitioning scheme.
2. It would be best to diagnose the health of the disk with a HDD diagnostic testing tool to ensure it's not defective. You can obtain such from the WD website.
3. Assuming the disk is non-defective it probably would be best if at this point-in-time you would "start over" with a fresh unformatted drive empty of data and initialize the disk GPT, and partition/format the drive and then transfer/copy whatever data you want to the disk.

feihung

Reputable
Oct 16, 2016
Hey artpog. After all these years I am still struggling with this. I just read a few other articles and all of them said as long as I format it as GPT I should see the 4 tb on my disk management. I downloaded the AOMEI software and It still does not recognize 4tb. It only recognizes 2 tb. Any ideas? I got another new 4 tb ssd from Samsung. This time it is the higher model PRO. I had the EVO before.

feihung

Reputable
Oct 16, 2016
OK. A little update and a move into the right direction. So I took a 1 tb ssd drive which was completely blank and installed a clean install of windows 10. I put that drive into the primary or bootable port and eureka! It recognizes the secondary 4tb ssd as 4tb. So now comes the issue. I went back to the Toshiba website so I can start downloading all my software for my Toshiba qosmio laptop and then I noticed after my second install of a program, the drive is not recognized as 4tb. Back to 2 tb. I uninstalled the 3 Toshiba programs and also did a system restore to when it was before I installed the 3 programs and nothing. It wont recognize it. Any ideas?