Replacing 7600GT with 5770 - drivers?

jj14

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Hello,
I'm replacing my old XFX 7600GT (NVidia) with the XFX HD577AZNFC (ATI) - have a couple of questions.

1. Do I really need to install driversweeper (guru3d) to get rid of the old driver (in safe mode) before installing the new card and drivers? Or is it sufficient to use device manager to remove the old driver, replace the card, and then install the new driver?

2. Do I need to install the catalyst suite from ATI's site? Or is it sufficient to install the WHQL drivers from microsoft's website? (I do not plan to OC the 5770) - this is how I had installed the 7600GT drivers

Read horror stories of bad driver problems on the ATI 5xxx series causing freezes/crashes etc, so want to get your thoughts.

My PC components - ASUS P6T Deluxe, i7 920, Corsair 6GB 1333, OCZ GamexStream 700W - Win 7 x64 Ultimate
Thanks!

Solution
1. Simply using device manager is enough.
2. You can download the "lite" version of the driver on ATI's website, it includes just the display driver and not CCC.

jj14

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Askara,
thank you for those helpful links - I'm not sure why my search didn't bring these up!!!
Some folks seem to be suggesting the drivesweeper while others indicate just using device manager! This is confusing :)

What did you end up doing? (driversweeper option?)
Thanks!

95% of the time the simple "add / remove programs" uninstall will work. When you become part Of that 5% experience, you generally don't want to go thru that again. I don't use "driversweeper", just a simple regedit tool (CCleaner) to find any leftover registry entries that got missed.

And if you think add /remove programs always gets all those entries, running CCleaner just once will destroy that illusion once and for all :)

jj14

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006

I hear ya... have dealt with the old Norton products - the amount of stuff they left behind was incredible!
I'll try the driver removal using device manager and swap the card. If that causes problems, I can always swap the old card back, run the driversweeper, and install the new one back.

Thank you for everybody's help :)

TRENDING THREADS