Replacing a e-GeForce 8600 GTS

MicroB

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Hi,

The e-GeForce 8600 GTS (EVGA) on this old PC died today, and I am now using the integrated card on my motherboard to type this.

I am looking to buy a similar card (or tad better) without resorting to upgrade anything.

My PC specs:

AMD ATHLON 64 X2 DUAL CORE @ 2.51 GHz
ASUS M2N-MX SE MoBo (with intern sound card)
2GIG of ram

Any suggestions ?

I'd like to point out that most online stores I check only seem to sell the GeForce 8400 GS when I am searching for similar products. :fou:
Is that card even remotely similar ?

Thanks.

8400 GS is way weaker IIRC. Why not get a somewhat newer card such as a GT 440 or something like that? It's probably be easier than looking for such an old card as a Geforce 8000 series card. I can't find any except for an 8500 GT and it's way overpriced anyway, maybe you'd have better luck on Ebay.

Quaddro

Distinguished
8400GS is very-very much slower than 8600GTS..

A second hand 9600GT/8800GT is very cheap right now..

Well, yes, this is almost ancient gpu, but if you satisfied with your 8600GTS, 9600GT/8800GT will double your performace..

MicroB

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008

Won't such a powerful card hamper this old PC though ?

I'll look for secondhand then.
Thanks.

GT 440 is not a powerful card. I could check to be sure, but I doubt that it consumes too much more power than an 8600 GTS, if anymore power at all. However, it was only one example. My point was that it may be easier to find a new card first-hand with a decent price than looking for old cards unless you want a second hand card. Personally, I've had generally good experiences with second hand cards, but there's always increased risk with them.