Question Replacing a new Wifi card for Dell latitude E5420

vishalaestro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
My laptop specs are 8GB Ram, intel core i7 2620M, 128GB SSD .As the inbuilt wifi card is causing a lot of audio latency issues, all my youtube videos are lagging in audio therefore i'm currently using a USB Wifi adapter to fix this problem. Due to limited no of USB ports . i would like to know whether i can upgrade the existing wifi card to a newer wifi card as the driver support for the inbuilt wifi card is not present anymore.

Sure, it looks like it uses PCIe half mini cards. A replacement would need to be one of those. You'll also want the same number of antenna leads. For instance if your laptop is only has one antenna lead going to your card a card with two antenna connectors won't work.

Although I haven't tried it. From what I've read you can upgrade the internal card of an 802.11n laptop to 802.11ac.

vishalaestro

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Physically the upgrade is possible and fairly simple, just be gentle and patient with the antenna cables.

What I'm less confident about is whether other WLAN cards are "whitelisted" or not. That's something either Dell or your own trial & error may have to tell you.
i tried looking for compatible cards and i found it to be
Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

https://www.dell.com/community/Lati...e-to-Intel-7260-ac-wireless-card/td-p/6246961

but the card is so costly that, its covers the entire laptop cost. looking for something that is cheap

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS