replacing a primary hd with a new primary

diamenz

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
i've searched here and have somewhat found the answer to my question, but not fully. it's my understanding that i can physically replace my current primary internal hd (windows install) with a new one simply by simply switching them out. i would then freshly install windows to that new hd and i would be good to go.

the second part i'm not sure about though. i'd like to move my current primary hd to become a secondary drive. if i do that by using the above method, windows would reamin on the second drive. now as long as i'm not booting from that second drive, that windows install won't make any difference, right? and how would i go about uninstalling windows from that secondary drive, and will it at all affect my NEW install on the new primary drive.

is there anything else i should be aware of before i go through this process? i'm not bad with computers and built my first one years ago, so i'm pretty savvy and adapt well... i've just never done THIS before. thanks.

ah, one more thing. i won't have a problem with installing windows on the new drive while windows is still installed on the old one, right? in other words, microsoft doesn't limit you to just one install with the key you're given, correct?

Solution
This IS Windows 10 you are working with, right?

In that case, you will want to take a look at the links regarding that in the tutorial I linked to above, which happens to have been brought to recent attention by USAFRet that responded above. They address that exact question regarding the transfer of license to a new installation or after making a major hardware change. Here they are again, just in case you didn't see them there.

To summarize it, it's best that you first make sure your Windows 10 activation is registered to a Microsoft account so that all you have to do to reactivate later is log into that same account during the new installation. It will handle the rest.

Actually, it CAN make a difference, if the system sees TWO boot partitions. Generally it will go with the boot partition that is on the drive attached to SATA 0, but not always. It's best to backup any information you might need on the drive with the old OS on it, then use something like Gparted to remove ALL the existing partitions on that drive. Then create a new partition on that drive using all the available space on it.

https://gparted.org/

Next, disconnect that drive from the system, connect the drive you WANT to install Windows on to the SATA 0 header port on the motherboard and proceed to follow the instructions here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3567655/clean-installation-windows.html

Finally, once Windows is fully installed, reconnect the secondary drive back to the motherboard using the SATA 1 or 2 header.

It should go without saying that anytime you connect or disconnect a drive from the motherboard, the system should be fully shut down and the switch on the back of the PSU should be in the off position.

diamenz

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
that helps, thanks. if I keep windows installed on the old drive, I won't have any licensing problems installing it on the new drive as well, right? I bought windows as stand alone software btw.

also, how do I unistall the old windows install while it's sitting dormant on the secondary drive? I wont lose all of my personal files in the process, will I?

USAFRet

Titan

Ideally, you move your personal files off that drive, and wipe it completely.
Then, move things back.

This IS Windows 10 you are working with, right?

In that case, you will want to take a look at the links regarding that in the tutorial I linked to above, which happens to have been brought to recent attention by USAFRet that responded above. They address that exact question regarding the transfer of license to a new installation or after making a major hardware change. Here they are again, just in case you didn't see them there.

To summarize it, it's best that you first make sure your Windows 10 activation is registered to a Microsoft account so that all you have to do to reactivate later is log into that same account during the new installation. It will handle the rest.

Solution
diamenz...
You really haven't indicated (unless I missed it) whether other than the Win 10 OS folder/files on the secondary HDD whether there's any data on that drive that you will want to retain. Since you're presumably going to fresh-install the Win 10 OS (at least I'm assuming it's Win 10 - always indicate the OS you're working with when you pose a query) on the new HDD you're probably aware that you will need to (re)install the programs currently on the present boot drive onto your new HDD following the fresh-install.

And we don't know if you plan to simply move/copy other files (personal data, audio/visual files, etc.) to the new
boot HDD or whether you'll retain them on the secondary HDD.

So all that has a bearing on how you should handle the secondary HDD once you've determined the newly-installed OS on the new HDD is properly functioning in all respects. Capiche?

Obviously if there's absolutely no data on the now-secondary HDD you wish to retain on that drive it's a simple matter to just format the drive and be done with it.

But if there is such data, you'll want to delete the Windows OS folder/files on the drive. There's no point in retaining that relatively large amount of useless disk-space on the drive and retaining the "old' OS is always a potential for causing future mischief re your system. But that sometimes poses a problem when you want to delete the OS (and associated) files even from a secondary drive. Windows will frequently balk at the delete command; but there are ways to get around that.

TRENDING THREADS