Replacing an 1024 MB ATI Radeon HD 4870 GDDR5

dreddig

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
I bought a Dell XPS 435T (Intel Core i7-920 Processor - 8MB L3 Cache) about three and a half years ago. One of the fans has been getting progressively noisier for the last few months, making a growling sound. I took it in to get serviced. The tech told me the noise was from the fan on the video card and that it should be replaced. Radeon doesn't make this particular video card anymore (1024 MB ATI Radeon HD 4870 GDDR5). What would a comparable replacement card be that would work with my motherboard? Any help is much appreciated, and let me know if you need any additional specs on my system. Thanks for your time.

Solution
well basically an AMD 7750 is about the same as your 4870 but uses a lot less power. Since you can run a 4870 I would say your PSU will be able to support a 7850 since it uses less power than a 4870 they start at around $170 and it will come with at least two free games (tome raid and bioshock). However if you don't want to spend much and didn't mind the performance of your current card then I would say go with a AMD 7770 they start at about $110 and still come with one free game FC3 plus it will be able to play all the newest games at a good performance level.

ikaz

Distinguished
well basically an AMD 7750 is about the same as your 4870 but uses a lot less power. Since you can run a 4870 I would say your PSU will be able to support a 7850 since it uses less power than a 4870 they start at around $170 and it will come with at least two free games (tome raid and bioshock). However if you don't want to spend much and didn't mind the performance of your current card then I would say go with a AMD 7770 they start at about $110 and still come with one free game FC3 plus it will be able to play all the newest games at a good performance level.

Solution
With an X58 system, you have some serious options. You can still get a lot of mileage out of that system and improve your video capabilities for a decent price.

The 4870 requires 2 6-pin PCIe power connectors. The following chart shows the 4870 requiring 187W at peak:
http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264

Do you want serious performance or mid-range performance. Do you use the PC for gaming? How much money do you have to spend?

The first things that comes to mind for me at the high mid range is a GTX 660ti at $300.

dreddig

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013