Question Replacing AT&T Provided Modem - Fiber with ONT Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

adconley95

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2015
Hello everyone.

My overall plan is to provide my house with 1 gigabit hard-line speeds to my new NAS, my desktop, wifeys desktop, xbox 1, ps4, and TV while having wifi capabilites.

I have AT&T Fiber installed at my house.

The ONT device that receives the fiber outputs a RJ45 to the provided AT&T modem.

I would like to replace the modem with my own device. My goal would be to have as simple of a setup as possible. So I would need more than the typical 4 port router with wifi capabilites. Any suggestions?

L3-4 switches? Bite the bullet and buy a nice router and run a switch into it?

Thank you!

You likely do not need anything other than a dumb switch. What layer 3 means is routing and you should only have a single router in your house. Besides you do not actually need routing the function you need is NAT and it is very rare to find a switch that can do NAT.

Any router would work most the difference is in the wifi or other features like nas or vpn support.

Bad news is last I heard ATT requires you to use their router. This is even true on many of the DSL connections. Not sure why they have the requirements. I know they offer tv and phone service using their router but even if you do not buy those services they require you to have their router.

Their router may meet your needs. The ISP routers have improved a lot in the years. You can either disable the wifi radios and use a second router as a AP to get better wifi if that is your concern. You can also use the DMZ option in the ATT box and put a router in front of ATT this reduces the problem of having 2 routers in the path.

Status
Not open for further replies.