[SOLVED] Replacing AV computer

Oct 13, 2020
I want to replace a computer that is used in the Audio/Video booth for a church service. It essentially runs one program, ProPresenter 7, to display song lyrics and talking notes on four different screens and play audio to our sound mixing board. The current computer is getting a little old. We are using it now without big problems but it is just a little slow, occasional audio stuttering, slow user interface, etc.

The current computer is a Dell Inspiron 3847: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.2 ghz, 8 GB Ram, 1TB hard drive (using less than 250 GB) Using the built in headphone jack for audio out to the soundboard. Two NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 cards for output to the monitors. 4 displays at 1080p, because of the outputs we have, we are running two on HDMI and two on VGA. A new system could do 3 HDMI and 1 VGA (The VGA connection is wired through the building with extenders and splitters to the "main" building screens. I'm fine with there being an adapter off the computer to VGA)

The recommendation for the ProPresenter software is: "Intel Core i7 or AMD Ryzen 7, 16gb of Ram, and a dedicated GPU that has 4gb+ of VRAM. "

Approximate Purchase Date: Able to purchase anytime, but not rushed

Budget Range: Roughly $1,500 or less, specifically, I found this PowerSpec G358 computer at MicroCenter and was hoping to do better than that, either in getting specs closer to what I need for cheaper, same specs cheaper, or better computer near the same price. My gut is that computer would work fine, but maybe I don't need as powerful a graphics card. Current computer runs with CPU over 90% but GPU about 30%

System Usage from Most to Least Important: ProPresenter 7 (occasionally downloading a file to use in a presentation)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Full system

Do you need to buy OS: Yes?
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
No Preference

Parts Preferences: No Preference

Overclocking: No Preference

SLI or Crossfire: No Preference

Your Monitor Resolution: 3 x HDMI 1080P, 1 x VGA 1080P

Additional Comments: The computer sits under a desk in a soundbooth, prefer it not look like an alien spaceship and run fairly quiet

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Increased performance for ProPresenter 7

Solution
I want to replace a computer that is used in the Audio/Video booth for a church service. It essentially runs one program, ProPresenter 7, to display song lyrics and talking notes on four different screens and play audio to our sound mixing board. The current computer is getting a little old. We are using it now without big problems but it is just a little slow, occasional audio stuttering, slow user interface, etc.

The current computer is a Dell Inspiron 3847: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.2 ghz, 8 GB Ram, 1TB hard drive (using less than 250 GB) Using the built in headphone jack for audio out to the soundboard. Two NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 cards for output to the monitors. 4 displays at 1080p, because of the outputs we have, we are running...

The current computer is a Dell Inspiron 3847: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.2 ghz, 8 GB Ram, 1TB hard drive (using less than 250 GB) Using the built in headphone jack for audio out to the soundboard. Two NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 cards for output to the monitors. 4 displays at 1080p, because of the outputs we have, we are running two on HDMI and two on VGA. A new system could do 3 HDMI and 1 VGA (The VGA connection is wired through the building with extenders and splitters to the "main" building screens. I'm fine with there being an adapter off the computer to VGA)

The recommendation for the ProPresenter software is: "Intel Core i7 or AMD Ryzen 7, 16gb of Ram, and a dedicated GPU that has 4gb+ of VRAM. "
You could build a very good system for that task.... around 1K

AMD
Motherboard: Asus TUF B550M-PLUS - $128
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X ((8-core/16 thread)) - $295
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3600MHz DDR4 - #130
SSD: WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 $120
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660 $190
PSU: CORSAIR CX Series CX650 - $65
Case:Fractal Design Define Mini C - $84

Intel
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490M EDGE- $180
CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz (6-core/12 thread) - $280
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB (2 x 16GB) 2666MHz DDR4 - $130
SSD: WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 $120
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660 $190
PSU: CORSAIR CX Series CX650 - $65
Case:Fractal Design Define Mini C - $84

Solution
Oct 13, 2020
Thanks for your help. As a newbie to building a system, I had two follow up questions

1. Where do these prices come from? I looked on, for instance, newegg, but prices seemed higher.

2. Are the intel and AMD processors equivalent? The Ryzen seems to be better looking at cpubenchmark.net (I don't know how reliable that site is)

Thanks again

Thanks for your help. As a newbie to building a system, I had two follow up questions

1. Where do these prices come from? I looked on, for instance, newegg, but prices seemed higher.
Amazon and Newegg.
Be aware that prices fluctuate online. Some of the components (CPU, GPU, RAM & case), as of right now, are still a the stated price.
You could swap some of the components for similar units.
An example:
The WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD went from $120 to $145 you could go with Intel 665P NVMe M.2 2280 SSD which went down from $135 to $99

By the way, when I checked, it was Amazon Prime Day and there were a lot of deals and some other online stores had also lower prices to match Amazon's.
I used PC Part

2. Are the intel and AMD processors equivalent? The Ryzen seems to be better looking at cpubenchmark.net (I don't know how reliable that site is)

Thanks again
Intel is slightly better in gaming and some single threaded apps...AMD Ryzen perform better on, pretty much anything else.