[SOLVED] Replacing CPU

issenshin

Prominent
Sep 3, 2018
Good afternoon! I have a few questions about replacing CPU. I'm beginner, so any advice would be very appreciated. I want to buy Intel® Core™ i5-4460 (used, not new), basically for gaming.

1) Do I need better power supply unit? Currently I have 500 W.

2) Do I need to replace CPU cooler with newer one, or will the old one suffice?

3) I was reading specification of i5-4460, turns out that it has 84 wattage, is it safe to run it? The one that I have is G3220 (54W).

This is configuration that I have:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU
Intel Pentium G3220 @ 3.00GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM
12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. H81M-S1 (SOCKET 0)

Graphics
20EN33 (1600x900@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics (Gigabyte)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (NVIDIA)
ForceWare version: 440.97
SLI Disabled

Storage
465GB Seagate ST3500312CS (SATA )
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0

Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio

If you have maybe better recommendation for CPU please tell me, I would be much obliged!
Thank You very much!

p.s. this pc is about 6 years old.

Solution
That board should support any 4000 series CPU. You could even put the i7 4790K into it, however overclocking would be locked since it is not a Z87 motherboard. So for the one you are looking at, yes it should drop in and work. However it never hurts to update the BIOS before hand to make sure it does.

If you are buying it new with a cooler I would use the new one. Sometimes the lower end Intel CPUs have a slightly smaller cooler. If it were me I would buy a nicer after market cooler but that's just me. The stock Intel cooler is usually enough to keep the CPU happy.

You should not need to replace your PSU. While it is a bit of a jump I doubt you will go vastly over your power budget.
That board should support any 4000 series CPU. You could even put the i7 4790K into it, however overclocking would be locked since it is not a Z87 motherboard. So for the one you are looking at, yes it should drop in and work. However it never hurts to update the BIOS before hand to make sure it does.

If you are buying it new with a cooler I would use the new one. Sometimes the lower end Intel CPUs have a slightly smaller cooler. If it were me I would buy a nicer after market cooler but that's just me. The stock Intel cooler is usually enough to keep the CPU happy.

You should not need to replace your PSU. While it is a bit of a jump I doubt you will go vastly over your power budget.

Reactions: issenshin
Solution
yes that cpu is supported on the list and you shouldnt have to update the bios it should be a simple pop in and play be very careful of taking out the cpu in your board the pins are very easily bent in intel boards.

like the post above has stated you may want to get a new cooler if your using the stock one or at the very least use some mx4 paste after youve cleaned the old cooler ( also make sure once you install the chip to use a cotton bud with some isopropyl alcohol 99 percent to clean it and the cooler. add new paste and install and it should run fine

i only recomend upgrading the cooler from stock if your running some very demanding cpu intensive games

Reactions: issenshin