Replacing CRT with flatscreen monitor?

I have a Sony Multiscan 210ES Trinitron 17" monitor which I bought new in
1999 and it's still going strong and has good performance using FS9.
Space, however, is an issue and I'd like to know what flat- screen monitors
would give resolution and picture quality equal or better than the Sony. I
didn't like the Dell flat screen monitor that came standard with my Dell
Dimension last year. Performance was not as good as the old CRT monitor. I'm
not sure what to look for in the newer slimmer monitors.
All advice appreciated.
John Slevin.

"jslevin" <greenforest@eircam.net> wrote:

>I have a Sony Multiscan 210ES Trinitron 17" monitor which I bought new in
>1999 and it's still going strong and has good performance using FS9.
>Space, however, is an issue and I'd like to know what flat- screen monitors
>would give resolution and picture quality equal or better than the Sony. I
>didn't like the Dell flat screen monitor that came standard with my Dell
>Dimension last year. Performance was not as good as the old CRT monitor. I'm
>not sure what to look for in the newer slimmer monitors.
>All advice appreciated.
>John Slevin.

By flat screen do you mean the TFT flat panels??
There are CRT flat screens available, you know.

No TFT panel can surpass the picture quality of a halfway decent CRT
based monitor.

They have viewing angle issues as well as response time issues which
is noticeable in fast moving pictures. But they're getting better all
the time. And no CRT will give you stuck pixels which can be very
anoying, depending where they are :))

Generally srious gamers still stick to CRTs.

I have been using a Viewsonic 19" VP912 flat screen for months now and I can
find no fault with it. Response time is 12msec and I use the native
resolution 1280X 1024 for games and regular use.
--
Gerald J Buchko buchgera@comcast.net

In article <inpq51tns4q77vlrjndd0hl01d6arplfch@4ax.com>,
xspam.torle@comcast.net says...
> "jslevin" <greenforest@eircam.net> wrote:
>
> >I have a Sony Multiscan 210ES Trinitron 17" monitor which I bought new in
> >1999 and it's still going strong and has good performance using FS9.
> >Space, however, is an issue and I'd like to know what flat- screen monitors
> >would give resolution and picture quality equal or better than the Sony. I
> >didn't like the Dell flat screen monitor that came standard with my Dell
> >Dimension last year. Performance was not as good as the old CRT monitor. I'm
> >not sure what to look for in the newer slimmer monitors.
> >All advice appreciated.
> >John Slevin.
> >

> By flat screen do you mean the TFT flat panels??
> There are CRT flat screens available, you know.
>
> No TFT panel can surpass the picture quality of a halfway decent CRT
> based monitor.
>
> They have viewing angle issues as well as response time issues which
> is noticeable in fast moving pictures. But they're getting better all
> the time. And no CRT will give you stuck pixels which can be very
> anoying, depending where they are :))
>
> Generally srious gamers still stick to CRTs.

You can get TFTs that are good for gaming. Just make sure the response
time is 15ms or less. 12 is ideal. A decent one shouldn't have viewing
angle problems either -- if you're playing a game, you're pretty much in
front of the monitor anyway.

John Black

"Tom Orle" <xspam.torle@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "jslevin" <greenforest@eircam.net> wrote:
>
>>I have a Sony Multiscan 210ES Trinitron 17" monitor which I bought new in
>>1999 and it's still going strong and has good performance using FS9.
>>Space, however, is an issue and I'd like to know what flat- screen
>>monitors
>>would give resolution and picture quality equal or better than the Sony. I
>>didn't like the Dell flat screen monitor that came standard with my Dell
>>Dimension last year. Performance was not as good as the old CRT monitor.
>>I'm
>>not sure what to look for in the newer slimmer monitors.
>>All advice appreciated.
>>John Slevin.
>>

> By flat screen do you mean the TFT flat panels??
> There are CRT flat screens available, you know.
>
> No TFT panel can surpass the picture quality of a halfway decent CRT
> based monitor.
>
> They have viewing angle issues as well as response time issues which
> is noticeable in fast moving pictures. But they're getting better all
> the time. And no CRT will give you stuck pixels which can be very
> anoying, depending where they are :))
>
> Generally srious gamers still stick to CRTs.

Thanks Tom! Yep, I meant TFT alright..... I'm just a little behind with all
the terminology.
Guess I'll hold on to the CRT till it gives up the ghost!

"jslevin" <greenforest@eircam.net> wrote:

>Thanks Tom! Yep, I meant TFT alright..... I'm just a little behind with all
>the terminology.
>Guess I'll hold on to the CRT till it gives up the ghost!

You might want to consider upgrading to a 19" or 21" (for the A380!!)
Samsung or Viewsonic CRT monitor. They are reasonably cheap and have
great pictures. Brand names like Sony don't necessarily mean better
quality any more.

With regards to TFT's - it's a personal issue. Don't buy any without
actually looking at a moving picture on the one you want to consider.

As someone else posted, 15ms or 12ms should be the minimum for games.
The problem is that some manufacturers quote these numbers only for
black to white transitions. This may leave ugly red smears when you
have a fast moving red object on the screen :-( They always quote the
fastest numbers without telling you how they obtained them!!
That's called marketing :(
I call it deceptive marketing :) Buyer beware!!!

Yes there are good TFT's available but they're rather expensive!

-=tom=-

On 2005-04-14, Tom Orle <xspam.torle@comcast.net> wrote:
> "jslevin" <greenforest@eircam.net> wrote:

[snip]

> Yes there are good TFT's available but they're rather expensive!

I'm thinking of going multi TFT for my new setup. I wonder how long it'd
take to pay the extra expense for 'good' ones out of the electricity
saved by running TFT instead of CRT. I've not got figures to hand and
this isn't my field but isn't the electricity used in the region of 10x
TFT for CRT?

Perhaps someone who has one of each can have a look? Ideally the figures
for same (viewable) size would be the best.

Justin.

--
Justin C by the sea.

Justin C <justin.0504@purestblue.com> wrote:

>On 2005-04-14, Tom Orle <xspam.torle@comcast.net> wrote:
>> "jslevin" <greenforest@eircam.net> wrote:
>>
>[snip]
>
>> Yes there are good TFT's available but they're rather expensive!
>
>I'm thinking of going multi TFT for my new setup. I wonder how long it'd
>take to pay the extra expense for 'good' ones out of the electricity
>saved by running TFT instead of CRT. I've not got figures to hand and
>this isn't my field but isn't the electricity used in the region of 10x
>TFT for CRT?
>
>Perhaps someone who has one of each can have a look? Ideally the figures
>for same (viewable) size would be the best.
>
> Justin.

Don't know about power consumption - just got on some manufacturere's
sites and compare.

But the German PC magazine Chip rates the Samsung SyncMaster 913N as
top TFT 19" monitor - and it's under 400 Euro.
NEC MultiSync 1980SX placed second at a price of 730 Euro.

So far I have never been advised wrong by recommendations from that
magazine.

-=tom=-