Replacing Dell E520 PSU with Corsair CX450W

sidswlan

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Hi. Yeah I bought a new PSU for my Dell E520 after reading in several places across the web that a CX450W worked for other people. My problem is that when I look at the wires on the motherboard I see one wire from the PSU has only four pins. The one on this new one has no 4-pin wire coming out of it; it has that big one there with the 24 pins, that one's fine. The one I think is for that 4-pin thing has no matching plug on the PSU. This is an ATX unit, I don't understand why it would be any different if it worked for other people, Any ideas? Am I supposed to use one of these other plugs from the newer PSU? There is the big one, there's one with 8 pins and another one with 6 that has another two sprouting off from that like some optional wire or something. I think the 4-pin plug on the MB is for the CPU it sits right next to it on the MB. Any tips?

Solution
The Corsair CX450 will have 2x4-pin CPU/EPS connectors. You will just plug in one of the 4-pins.

*It will look just like the PCIe/VGA connector, but split in half for 2x4-pin instead of 6-pin + 2-pin.

sidswlan

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
No I don't see any 2x4 pin connectors on the new unit. Maybe I bought the wrong one. There is also a CX-M series PSU that's probably what happened. Thanks though

sidswlan

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Yeah there's one with the 6/2 and one with 8 pins. It's not split in half though and all 8 pins on the plug have wires going into them. How would I know which end to use. I don't want to mess this machine up I've got $$$ into it.

sidswlan

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Anybody need a new CX450? Heh.

-serious, I'll make a deal. I'm ordering that other one. I'm at sidswlan@gmail.com. $40 and I'll throw in the shipping if it's in the USA

You would get the exact same thing with the CX450M. The 8-pin needs to be split/detached in to 2x 4-pin.

If it simply does not detach and cannot be inserted in the 4-pin on your motherboard then you would need to contact Corsair for an RMA to replace it.

You could also try to get a replacement from the retailer you bought it from. If the 8-pin does not detach then it is defective.

sidswlan

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
I guess this doesn't have enough amps then. Still I gotta wonder why so many people have used the Corsair in their E520's. I wish I knew more about this stuff. I may an idiot, and I agree it's supposed to split but I still know a single plug from a detachable one when I see it.

sidswlan

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
I'd like to hint though before this thread is closed, that if you are NOT with the person to see what they are seeing, please do not ignore it when they tell you that they're holding a single plug in their hands. I stated very plainly and concisely what kind of plug it was. To insist that I'm not seeing what I have in my own two hands is rather insulting (or at least implies insult) to my intelligence.

I understand that and it is supposed to be split to 4+4-pin, or at least there is supposed to be a 4+4-pin plug. If there is not then the unit you got has the wrong plug, a.k.a. defective and can be returned/replaced.

sidswlan

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Thanks for replying, even after I (originally) picked yours as the solution.

Actually I just want something a bit beefier so if I can buy a better video card that needs more power, I'll have it. Dell already sold me a AMD Radeon R5 240 but it doesn't have drivers for XP and I'd have to upgrade to use it. That made me mad, but I swallowed the pill- so now I am planning to upgrade to Win7 and all that, buy my own license etc. However, I may not be satisfied with that card.
Some may wonder why I'd want an E520 anyway. Like, upgrade, dude.

-because I found it in a dumpster, I guess. I don't know. Maybe I want to be a geek like you guys. I might not even need the extra beef.

I upgraded this thing a lot. I now have a quad core 2.66 Intel Core Duo Q6700 in it, and the fan doesn't spin up anymore at all. That will probably add a year or more to the PSU's lifespan right there, but I'm not going to have my old age pension forever and I'm planning for failure at some future date when I'm broke.

sidswlan

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Okay Volkgren. I know you know what you're saying. I was just trying to say that I have eyes, too. Thanks for your tips. I'll probably still sell this so if you're interested in helping, buy it... heh heh.

Nobody wants to buy a PSU that doesn't have a CPU plug. Nobody can use it. Return it to wherever you bought it or to Corsair because it is missing parts and/or defective. You would be doing the PC community a disservice by selling the PSU.