Replacing desktop case fans

Joey2332

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
Hello!
I was wondering, should I consider replacing the case fans that came with my desktop computer? Or do they not make that much of a difference in cooling? If so what case fans would you suggest?
Fan size 120 mm

Thanks for the help!

Solution
Since there is thousands of different computer configurations there is no one-size fits all solution.

You did not even list what case you have so we dont even know what options are available, let alone the rest of the parts of your system to know what level of cooling you need to have. I could shout out some generic information but without knowing your actual parts/specs no one can provide you with an informed answer.

rvilkman

Distinguished
Usually the fans that come with the cases are ok. Most commonly people add more fans and generally the only reason to replace the fans in your case is if they don't work, they make too much noise or you want them to look different.

Certainly there are differences in how much airflow the fans provide as well, but in most situations the provided in fans work well enough and don't need to be replaced.

That being said: Noctua makes excellent fans, Corsair AF/SP series fans are good as well and i use fractal design fans in my fractal design cases.
The fans can be pricy though, so good ones usually range from about $10 to $30 each

Joey2332

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Hello rvilkman!
Thanks for the response! I do have any extra opening on the top of my case, this is my case, Its an older computer model so I couldn't find the name of the case but an image https://www.amazon.com/CyberpowerPC-GUA3100A-Desktop-FX-4300-Windows/dp/B0111MTSZ8 would you suggest to put an exhaust fan on top of the desktop case to get better air flow?

rvilkman

Distinguished
You should maintain either equal or positive pressure inside the case to limit the amount of dust that builds up. If you get negative pressure inside the case the case will practically work like a vaccuum cleaner and start sucking in dust through every possible hole in the case.

This basically means that you should have the the same amount or more fans that bring in air than what you have to exhaust it.
So if your current setup has 1 intake and 1 exhaust fan, you should add both an intake and exhaust fans if you add any more fans.

It's a bit hard to say if that case has a slot for another intake fan, but if it does having 2 intake and 2 exhaust fans would certainly improve the airflow.

Joey2332

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Ah, I understand, equality with air flow is important so you don't end up unbalanced, noted. Now I do get a good amount of dust build up inside my computer, what would be an option to eliminate that, or to decrease it? Also I looked around my computer, the only spot that I could see is the top of the computer for another fan.

Does the case have any dust filters? If not, there's no solution to the dust problem.

Also, it is generally worthwhile to simply replace the fans on cases like that rather than try to add more fans. The fans that come on those machines tend to be bargain basement models. Note that temperatures will improve significantly for the first two fans in the case. Beyond that, each additional fan gives progressively less improvement.

Regarding fans, for a solid all-rounder, I recommend the be quiet! Silent Wings 3. Two of those should produce more than adequate airflow.

Kunra Zether

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
You could purchase magnetic dust filters to slap on the outside of any fan you are using as an intake or make you own but it will reduce the airflow.

What kind of GPU are you using in it is it an open air or blower? You want to keep a blower style GPU in cases like that if you can so it's not putting hot air into your case also you could install a better CPU cooler aswell to help keep the CPU cooled off and also the surrounding parts. I see there is two fan mounts one above the CPU one at the rear. Make the one at the rear the exhaust you don't want to be taking in hot air from the power supply. Make the one above an intake. That's about all you can do unless you want to do some modding you can order larger case fans and a fan grill cut a hole in the side and mount it or get a new case and switch it out.

Joey2332

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

So I should put a fan blowing air into the computer at the top of my case? I do have a fan at the front of my case on the bottom blowing air in as well.

Top intakes are generally a bad idea. They technically provide cooler air to the CPU, but unless you really need it, it simply isn't worth the 3 dB increase in noise for a 3 C lower temperature. You also have to worry about recirculation, which will eat away at the cooling advantage under sustained loads.

The best general purpose design is to put the intake at the front, and the exhaust at the rear and top. This results in unidirectional flow, no hotspots, and lower noise.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS